Cannot finish calculating a double integral with change of coordinates

In summary, the person is trying to integrate a function over a region, but doesn't like the integrand and is stuck. They suggest using a change of coordinates, but that doesn't seem to be helping.
Hernaner28

Homework Statement

Integrate:

[tex] \displaystyle f\left( x,y \right)=\frac{{{x}^{2}}}{{{x}^{2}}+{{y}^{2}}}[/tex]

on the region:
[tex] \displaystyle D=\left\{ \left( x,y \right)\in {{\mathbb{R}}^{2}}:0\le x\le 1,{{x}^{2}}\le y\le 2-{{x}^{2}} \right\}[/tex]

TIP: Use change of coordinates:

[tex] \displaystyle x=\sqrt{v-u}[/tex]
[tex] \displaystyle y=v+u[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, what I did was to sketch the two regions. After that I calculated the jacobian of the change of coordinates function:

[tex] \displaystyle g\left( u,v \right)=\left( \sqrt{v-u},v+u \right)[/tex]

[tex] \displaystyle \left| Jg \right|=\frac{1}{\sqrt{v-u}}[/tex]

So the new integral becomes

[tex] \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{1}{\int\limits_{u}^{1}{\frac{v-u}{v-u+{{\left( u+v \right)}^{2}}}\cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{v-u}}dv}du}=\int\limits_{0}^{1}{\int\limits_{u}^{1}{\frac{\sqrt{v-u}}{v-u+{{\left( u+v \right)}^{2}}}dv}du}[/tex]

And here I'm stuck. I don't know how to continue. I don't like the integrand. Any help?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hernaner28 said:

Homework Statement

Integrate:

[itex] \displaystyle f\left( x,y \right)=\frac{{{x}^{2}}}{{{x}^{2}}+{{y}^{2}}}[/itex]

on the region: [itex] \displaystyle D=\left\{ \left( x,y \right)\in {{\mathbb{R}}^{2}}:0\le x\le 1,{{x}^{2}}\le y\le 2-{{x}^{2}} \right\}[/itex]

TIP: Use change of coordinates:

[itex] \displaystyle x=\sqrt{v-u}\,,\quad\quad y=v+u[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, what I did was to sketch the two regions. After that I calculated the jacobian of the change of coordinates function:

[itex] \displaystyle g\left( u,v \right)=\left( \sqrt{v-u},v+u \right)[/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle \left| Jg \right|=\frac{1}{\sqrt{v-u}}[/itex]

So the new integral becomes [itex] \displaystyle\ \int\limits_{0}^{1}{\int\limits_{u}^{1}{\frac{v-u}{v-u+{{\left( u+v \right)}^{2}}}\cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{v-u}}dv}du}=\int\limits_{0}^{1}{\int\limits_{u}^{1}{\frac{\sqrt{v-u}}{v-u+{{\left( u+v \right)}^{2}}}dv}du}[/itex]

And here I'm stuck. I don't know how to continue. I don't like the integrand. Any help?

Thanks!
Yes, that integrand is a mess.

Your work all looks to be correct.

Are you sure your function is correct? [itex] \displaystyle \ f\left( x,y \right)=\frac{{{x}^{2}}}{{{x}^{2}}+{{y}}}[/itex] would work out much more nicely.

Yes, I'm sure. It's [tex] \displaystyle f\left( x,y \right)=\frac{{{x}^{2}}}{{{x}^{2}}+{{y}^{2}}}[/tex] and they suggest that change of coordinates.

So the new integral becomes

[tex] \int\limits_{0}^{1}{\int\limits_{u}^{1} {\frac{\sqrt{v-u}}{v-u+{{\left( u+v \right)}^{2}}}dv}du}[/tex]

Thanks!

Suppose now you were given just that integral over that triangle you're integrating over. Can you make a change of variable to make it easier to integrate? What about now just:

[tex]w=v-u[/tex]
[tex]z=u+v[/tex]

No guarantees though ok. You gotta' just try it to get use to doing that if you're going to get good in math. :)

Last edited:

Related to Cannot finish calculating a double integral with change of coordinates

What is a double integral with change of coordinates?

A double integral is a type of integral that involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in the plane. Change of coordinates refers to the process of converting the original variables in the integral to new variables, which can make the integral easier to solve.

Why might I not be able to finish calculating a double integral with change of coordinates?

There could be several reasons why you may not be able to finish calculating a double integral with change of coordinates. Some common reasons include the integral being too complex or the chosen change of coordinates not being appropriate for the given function.

What are some common techniques for solving double integrals with change of coordinates?

Some common techniques for solving double integrals with change of coordinates include using polar coordinates, parametrizing the region of integration, and using trigonometric substitutions. It is important to choose the most appropriate technique for the given integral and region.

How do I know which change of coordinates to use for a given double integral?

Choosing the appropriate change of coordinates for a double integral can be a trial and error process, but there are some general guidelines that can help. For example, if the region of integration is circular or has circular symmetry, polar coordinates may be a good choice. Additionally, if the function involves trigonometric functions, using a trigonometric substitution may be helpful.

Is there a general formula for calculating double integrals with change of coordinates?

No, there is no one general formula for calculating double integrals with change of coordinates. The technique and formula used will depend on the specific integral and region of integration. It is important to understand the principles and concepts behind change of coordinates in order to appropriately solve a given double integral.