Can't add file containing kernel to xcode

In summary, you need to add the OpenCLSourceCalc.cl file to your Xcode project and make sure it is included in the build process, as well as adding the OpenCL framework to your project.
jmckennon
Hi. I'm writing a program in OpenCL but I'm very new to xcode. Basically, my program executes a kernel that exists in a separate file. I'm not sure if the code is completely correct, but the program won't build and when I do try to build it I get this error :

Build GPU translate of project GPU translate with configuration Debug

Check dependencies

[WARN]warning: no rule to process file '$(PROJECT_DIR)/OpenCLSourceCalc.cl' of type sourcecode.opencl for architecture x86_64

Undefined symbols:
"_clsetKernelArg", referenced from:
_sourceCalc in gputranslate.o
"_load_program_source", referenced from:
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I have no idea what this means, but my assumption is that the file wasn't added properly to the project or something. All I did was go to File->New File->C File and I changed the extension from ".c" to ".cl" Did I do this wrong? I can provide my code if needed.

Technology news on Phys.org
Thanks!It looks like your OpenCLSourceCalc.cl file isn't being recognized by the compiler as a valid source file. You need to add it to your Xcode project so that it is recognized as a source file, and then make sure it is included in the build process. You can do this by selecting the file in the Project Navigator, and then in the File Inspector on the right side of the window, checking the box next to "Target Membership" for the appropriate target. You may also need to add the OpenCL framework to your project so that the compiler recognizes the OpenCL API functions you are using. You can do this by selecting your project in the Project Navigator, then selecting the target and going to the Build Phases tab. Under Link Binary With Libraries, click the "+" button and select the OpenCL.framework from the list of available frameworks.

Hi there,

It seems like you are encountering some issues with adding a kernel file to your Xcode project. I understand that coding can be complex and frustrating, especially when working with new languages and tools.

It is possible that the file was not added properly to the project, as the error indicates that there is no rule to process the file. However, it is also possible that there may be an issue with your code or with the way you are calling the kernel in your program.

I would suggest checking your code for any errors and ensuring that the kernel file is properly added to your project. You can also try reaching out to the Xcode community or seeking help from a more experienced programmer to troubleshoot the issue.

Additionally, it may be helpful to provide more information about your program and the code you are using, as this can give a better understanding of the issue and allow for more specific guidance.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Related to Can't add file containing kernel to xcode

1. Why am I getting the error "Can't add file containing kernel to xcode"?

This error typically occurs when trying to add a file to Xcode that contains a kernel, such as a .cl file for OpenCL. Xcode does not support kernels, so it is not possible to add these types of files to a project.

2. Can I still use kernels in Xcode even though I can't add the file?

No, unfortunately, Xcode does not have support for kernels. You will need to use a different IDE or tool for developing and working with kernels.

3. Is there a workaround for adding kernel files to Xcode?

Some developers have found workarounds by creating a custom build rule that compiles the kernel file into a C or C++ header file. However, this is not a recommended solution as it can be complex and may not work for all types of kernel files.

4. What other options do I have for working with kernels if I can't use Xcode?

There are several other IDEs and tools available for working with kernels, such as Eclipse, Visual Studio, and CLion. Additionally, many frameworks and libraries that use kernels, such as OpenCL and Metal, have their own development environments.

5. Will Xcode ever add support for kernels in the future?

It is unclear if Xcode will add support for kernels in the future. However, as more and more developers are using kernels in their projects, there may be a demand for Xcode to support them in the future.