Can't crystal of simple lattice be antiferromagnetic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a crystalline structure with a simple lattice being antiferromagnetic. It is determined that while a primitive cubic lattice does not allow for antiferromagnetism between atoms within the same cell, a larger basis can be used in magnetic space groups to include non-unitary operators and allow for antiferromagnetism. The conversation also discusses the use of the BCC lattice in chromium and clarifies that it can be generated with either a primitive cubic lattice or a BCC lattice.
zhanhai
Is it correct that a crystall of simple lattice (lattice with primitive cells each having only one atom) cannot be antiferromagnetic? In other words, the antiparallelism must occur between atoms within each primitive cell.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think so, if not, the whole buzz about magnetic space groups would be useless. But this may also be a matter of pure definition: I.e., you may insist in that a translation which maps an atom with spin up onto an atom with spin down is not a true symmetry operation of the ordinary space group. In fact, you have to combine a unitary translation with a time inversion to convert spin up into spin down, so this is not an element of an ordinary space group. Hence if you are only admitting unitary operators as symmetry elements, as in ordinary space groups, then you have to consider a larger basis, while if you use magnetic space groups, which also include non-unitary group elements, then you can use a smaller basis with atoms with different spins being in different unit cells.

Likes nasu
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't BCC not considered in this scenario? Its not a simple (primitive) cubic lattice...BCC is, by definition, two interpenetrating simple cubic lattices. I believe the original question dealt with the primitive cubic lattice (one atom per unit cell), in which case DrDu gave the same answer I would give.

HeavyMetal said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't BCC not considered in this scenario? Its not a simple (primitive) cubic lattice...BCC is, by definition, two interpenetrating simple cubic lattices. I believe the original question dealt with the primitive cubic lattice (one atom per unit cell), in which case DrDu gave the same answer I would give.

The BCC lattice is a Bravais lattice. Hence in Chromium, there is only one atom per primitive unit cell. So I am with M Quack, here.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cubic_cI_and_primitive_cell.png

Just to clarify: are you saying that its Bravais lattice is BCC with a two-atom basis, but that there still exists a [rhombohedron] primitive cell which contains only one atom?

I am saying that the cubic cell which contains two atoms is not primitive.
You can generate a chromium crystal as either a primitive cubic lattice spanned by translation of the non-primitive two-atom basis, or as a bcc lattice obtained by translating the primitive one-atom basis.

Same reply as in another thread:
The reason the non-primitive cubic unit cell is used in BCC and FCC is that this makes the (cubic) symmetry of the system totally obvious. This is not the case for the primitive unit cells - the symmetry is of course the same, but it is not quite as easy to see.

Related to Can't crystal of simple lattice be antiferromagnetic?

1. Can a simple lattice crystal be antiferromagnetic?

No, a simple lattice crystal cannot be antiferromagnetic because antiferromagnetism requires a specific arrangement of atoms, known as an antiferromagnetic order, which is not possible in a simple lattice structure.

2. What is the difference between a simple lattice and an antiferromagnetic crystal?

A simple lattice crystal is a regular arrangement of atoms in a repeating pattern, while an antiferromagnetic crystal has a specific arrangement of atoms that results in a net magnetic moment of zero.

3. Can a simple lattice crystal exhibit any type of magnetic ordering?

Yes, a simple lattice crystal can exhibit ferromagnetic or paramagnetic ordering, but not antiferromagnetic ordering.

4. What factors determine whether a crystal exhibits antiferromagnetic ordering?

The arrangement of atoms, known as the crystal structure, and the interactions between the atoms, specifically the exchange interaction, determine whether a crystal can exhibit antiferromagnetic ordering.

5. Are there any real-life examples of antiferromagnetic crystals?

Yes, there are several real-life examples of antiferromagnetic crystals, such as iron oxide (FeO) and manganese oxide (MnO), which have antiferromagnetic order due to their crystal structures and exchange interactions.

Back