Can't decide on undergrad school

In summary: Illinois for that reason.In summary, the three schools have great reputations and are all top rated in physics, however, UMass has a better honors program and is cheaper.
conker873
So I've been accepted to a total of 9 schools and I've narrowed my decision down to UMD-college park, UIUC, and Umass Amherst. UMD and UIUC are top rated physics schools with great reputations but on the other hand Umass Amherst is a lot cheaper and i got into there honors program which will help with acquiring positions in research. Any information on the schools would be beneficial, also is graduating from Amherst in the honors program as prestigious as the other two.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've spent time at UMD and UMass, and had a friend go to UIUC. As far as quality of life goes, I'd vote for UMass. Although it might be the lowest ranked for physics between the three (not by much), it's still a great school with some very good research opportunities. And if it's significantly cheaper than the others, I'd say go to UMass.

conker873 said:
So I've been accepted to a total of 9 schools and I've narrowed my decision down to UMD-college park, UIUC, and Umass Amherst. UMD and UIUC are top rated physics schools with great reputations but on the other hand Umass Amherst is a lot cheaper and i got into there honors program which will help with acquiring positions in research. Any information on the schools would be beneficial, also is graduating from Amherst in the honors program as prestigious as the other two.

Honors program at UMass really isn't anything. You're obliged to take a few "honors" courses and do what they call a "capstone" project (basically a senior thesis). I don't know how much it helps with getting undergraduate research or any of that, but it seemed to me (was only there freshman year) to be more or less worthless. Wouldn't really let it factor into your decision too much if I were you...

It's a nice school in a nice area though.

(I have a biased opinion, but I thought the physics department there was trash. Again, just based upon my first year experience and my current undergrad institution [Cornell])

You won't go wrong at any of them, but if it were me I would choose UMD or UIUC based of which you just like better, they are both phenomenal schools. UMass physics is decent and a friend's dad went to Yale for his masters afterwards, but Maryland and Illinois are both much higher quality. Also, UIUC does incredible research on campus, as to Maryland AND Maryland is right next to DC, meaning you have all sorts of gov't agencies and contractors available to you for internships. I didn't do EA to UMD and sadly got rejected bc of it, and may end up xferring there, and I personally would choose Maryland

I understand the importance of choosing the right undergraduate school for your academic and career goals. It is commendable that you have been accepted to 9 schools and have narrowed down your decision to UMD-College Park, UIUC, and Umass Amherst. All three schools have their own unique strengths and it is important to consider all factors before making a decision.

UMD and UIUC are both top-rated physics schools with excellent reputations in the academic and research community. They offer rigorous coursework, experienced faculty, and state-of-the-art facilities for students to excel in their studies and research. However, it is important to also consider the cost of attendance and the financial burden it may place on you and your family.

On the other hand, Umass Amherst may not have the same level of prestige as UMD and UIUC, but it offers a more affordable option and the opportunity to participate in their honors program. The honors program can provide valuable research opportunities and connections with faculty, which can be beneficial for your future career in science.

Ultimately, it is important to weigh the pros and cons of each school and consider your personal priorities and goals. Graduating from the honors program at Umass Amherst may not have the same level of prestige as the other two schools, but it can still provide a strong foundation for your future in research.

I would also recommend reaching out to current students and alumni from each school to get their perspectives and experiences. This can give you a better understanding of the academic and research culture at each school and help you make a more informed decision.

In the end, it is important to choose a school that aligns with your academic and career goals, while also considering the financial aspect. Whichever school you choose, I wish you the best of luck in your academic journey and future career in science.

FAQ: Can't decide on undergrad school

1. What factors should I consider when trying to decide on an undergrad school?

When deciding on an undergrad school, there are several factors you should consider. These include the location of the school, the size of the student body, the available majors and programs, the school's reputation and rankings, the cost and financial aid options, and the overall campus culture and atmosphere.

2. How important is the school's ranking in my decision?

The school's ranking can be a helpful factor to consider, as it can give you an idea of the overall quality and reputation of the school. However, it should not be the only factor in your decision. It's important to also consider other factors such as the available programs and the campus culture.

3. Should I prioritize a school with a specific program or major I am interested in?

If you have a specific program or major in mind, it can be beneficial to prioritize schools that offer strong programs in that area. However, keep in mind that many students change their majors during their undergraduate years, so it's also important to consider the overall academic offerings and resources of the school.

4. How important is the location of the school?

The location of the school can play a significant role in your college experience. Consider if you prefer a rural or urban setting, the climate of the area, and the distance from home. It's also important to think about the opportunities for internships, research, and other activities that may be available in the surrounding area.

5. What resources are available to help me make a decision?

There are many resources available to help you make a decision on an undergrad school. These include college websites, virtual tours and information sessions, college fairs, and speaking with current students or alumni. It can also be helpful to talk to your high school guidance counselor or seek advice from family and friends who have gone through the college decision process.