Can't Identify Error in Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in kinematics with given variables of vi=0, x=1000m, and Δt=5. The first calculation for vf and a yields vf=200m/s and a=40m/s^2 using the formula vf=Δx/Δt and a=(vf-vi)/(tf-ti). However, it is pointed out that using Δx/Δt only gives the average velocity, not the final velocity. The correct approach would be to use x=vi(t)+(1/2)at^2 to solve for the acceleration and then use that value to find the final velocity.
RBF
[Mentor's note: This thread was moved to the homework section from General Physics, so it doesn't use the template.]

Going over a basic kinematics problem with the prompt stating vi=0, x=1000m and Δt=5 and vf and a need to be solved using average v and a. Calculated vf=200ms and a=40m/s/s. But then I also calculated for the same variables using x=.5(Δv)t and all turned wonky and I can't figure out why. Solving for vf=(2)(1000m)(1/5) I get 400m/s. Any insight into what error(s) Iam making?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first calculation looks to be wrong. Show more work on how you got to vf=200 m/s and a = 40m/s^2 and we will figure out where your error is.

I used Δx/Δt to get vf with my initial time and displacement set as 0. 1000m/5s=200m/s. I calculated average acceleration using a=(vf-vi)/(tf-ti) initals values both at 0 (200m/s)/5s to get a=40m/s/s.

RBF said:
I used Δx/Δt to get vf with my initial time and displacement set as 0. 1000m/5s=200m/s. I calculated average acceleration using a=(vf-vi)/(tf-ti) initals values both at 0 (200m/s)/5s to get a=40m/s/s.

Using Δx/Δt will give you the average velocity, not the final velocity. If the initial velocity is zero, the average velocity is 200 m/s, and the acceleration is constant, what is the final velocity?

Likes RBF
Not given, which made me rethink my approach. Should have used x=vi(t)+(1/2) at2 to solve for acceleration and then use that value for vf=vi+at.

RBF said:
Not given, which made me rethink my approach.

It doesn't need to be given. You should be able to figure it out given:
(1) Initial velocity = 0
(2) Average velocity = 200 m/s
(3) Acceleration is constant

Should have used x=vi(t)+(1/2) at2 to solve for acceleration and then use that value for vf=vi+at.

That's how I would have done it.

FAQ: Can't Identify Error in Calculation

1. What causes errors in calculations?

Errors in calculations can be caused by a variety of factors such as incorrect data input, human error, faulty equipment, or incorrect formulas or equations being used. It is important to carefully check all inputs and use reliable and accurate methods for calculations to minimize the chances of errors.

2. How can I identify errors in my calculations?

To identify errors in calculations, it is important to double check all inputs and calculations. This can be done by re-entering data, using a different method or formula, or seeking a second opinion from a colleague or supervisor. Additionally, using tools such as calculators or computer programs can help catch errors in calculations.

3. What are the consequences of incorrect calculations?

Incorrect calculations can have significant consequences depending on the context in which they are used. In scientific research, incorrect calculations can lead to false conclusions and potentially compromise the validity of the entire study. In other fields, incorrect calculations can result in financial losses, safety hazards, or incorrect decision-making.

4. How can I prevent errors in my calculations?

To prevent errors in calculations, it is important to follow proper procedures and guidelines for data collection and analysis. This includes using reliable and accurate methods, double checking all inputs and calculations, and seeking assistance or verification when needed. It is also important to keep detailed records and notes to track and identify any potential errors.

5. What should I do if I can't identify the error in my calculation?

If you are unable to identify the error in your calculation, it is important to seek assistance from a supervisor, colleague, or expert in the field. They may be able to provide a fresh perspective or identify patterns or inconsistencies that could help identify the error. It is also important to carefully review all inputs and methods used and consider using a different approach or tool for the calculation.