Can't Preview Latex Equations - Newbie Needing Help

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter SunMesa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the Latex preview issue seems to be due to changes that have been made on the PF servers, and there is no clear solution yet.
SunMesa
I'm a newbie, please bear with me...

I can't seem to be able to preview equations generated with the Latex buttons. The Latex code itself appears in the message composition box, but in the preview area all that appears is the ascii text, along with a lower-case greek "alpha" character in the place where the equation should be. I have cut and pasted Latex code from other posts and get the same result. Help! Thanks-

Physics news on Phys.org
All,

Apologies for not searching previous threads on this. I gather this has been an ongoing issue. The Ctrl-F5 trick seems to be working for me. Not sure if I can delete this thread on my own, if not, moderators feel free.

I always have the same issue; often it shows me the last latex equation I made (even from an entirely different post). What browser are you using? Anyone else having similar issues?

It hasn't been quite that bad for me, but I have noticed that when I change a LaTeX equation and then preview or submit the post, my changes usually aren't reflected in the image. In Firefox I've found that I can get around it by right-clicking the image, control-clicking on "View Image" (to open just the image itself in a new tab), and refreshing that. (Refreshing the final post with F5 also seems to work)

My problem, at least, can be explained by the caching policy on the images, but if you're seeing LaTeX images from entirely different posts, that seems pretty weird. Maybe the admins have sensible reasons for doing it that way, though, I wouldn't know.

I often see equations from previous posts as well. Reloading the page updates the images to the correct ones.

diazona said:
Maybe the admins have sensible reasons for doing it that way, though, I wouldn't know.
In one of the other threads, chroot (the guy who set up the LaTeX here) claimed that no changes were made on the PF servers when this started happening. So either their internet service provider is doing some weird caching, or there have been changes made that he isn't aware of. Either way, it's not a deliberate choice made by anyone at Physics Forums.

Related to Can't Preview Latex Equations - Newbie Needing Help

1. Why can't I preview my LaTeX equations?

There could be several reasons why you are unable to preview your LaTeX equations. One possible reason is that the necessary software or plugins are not installed on your computer. Another reason could be that there is an error in your LaTeX code. It is important to check for any typos or missing brackets in your equations.

2. How can I fix the issue of not being able to preview my LaTeX equations?

If the issue is related to missing software or plugins, you can try downloading and installing them. If there is an error in your code, carefully review and check for any mistakes. There are also online LaTeX equation editors that you can use to test your code before using it in your document.

3. Can I preview my LaTeX equations in different formats?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that allow you to preview your LaTeX equations in different formats such as PDF, HTML, or images. You can also use online converters to convert your equations into different formats.

4. Why is it important to preview my LaTeX equations?

Previewing your LaTeX equations before including them in your document is important to ensure that they are displayed correctly. It also helps you catch any errors or mistakes in your code, allowing you to make necessary corrections before finalizing your document.

5. Are there any resources available to help me with my LaTeX equations?

Yes, there are many online tutorials, forums, and communities dedicated to helping beginners with LaTeX equations. You can also find templates, examples, and guides to help you get started. Additionally, there are software and tools that offer syntax highlighting and error detection to make writing LaTeX equations easier.