Cantilever, pin and UDL confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses a 10 metre cantilever with a pin in the middle, a roller at the end, and a UDL of 10 kN / m acting across it. The speaker is confused about drawing the BMD and their calculations suggest a 50 kN load at the fixed end and roller. However, this would make it impossible for the BMD to equal zero at the pin. The conversation also mentions finding support reactions of 25 kN when splitting the cantilever at the pin. The conversation concludes with the speaker resolving their confusion.
dan38
So I have a 10 metre cantilever with a pin in the middle
There is a roller at the end and a UDL of 10 kN / m acting across.
Drawing the BMD is confusing me.

By my calculations; there should be a 50 kN load acting at the fixed end and roller.
Hence shape of the shear force diagram would be up, negative gradient and then up again.
But this would make it impossible for the BMD to equal zero at the pin.

Moreover when I split the cantilever at the pin, I find that the support reactions equal 25 kN now...

Where am I going wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
So I have a 10 metre cantilever with a pin in the middle

??

One cantilever or two or what?

one cantilever

I think you mean that the beam is fixed at one end, then there is a pin at 5 m which connects another 5 m long beam that is roller supported at its other end?

Question says: A propped cantilever beam ABC with a pin at B experiences a UDL of 10 kN/m.

dont worry figured it out :D

Related to Cantilever, pin and UDL confusion

1. What is a cantilever?

A cantilever is a structural element that is fixed at one end and protrudes horizontally to support a load at the other end. It is typically used in construction to create overhangs or balconies.

2. What is a pin support in a cantilever?

A pin support is a type of support that allows for rotation at the point of contact. In a cantilever, a pin support is used at the fixed end to allow for rotation and prevent bending or breaking of the structure.

3. What is a Uniformly Distributed Load (UDL)?

A Uniformly Distributed Load (UDL) is a type of load that is evenly distributed over a structural element. It is typically represented by a straight horizontal line and can be used to simulate the weight of a person or objects on a structure.

4. How do cantilevers, pin supports, and UDLs relate to each other?

In a cantilever, the fixed end is supported by a pin support, which allows for rotation and prevents bending. The load at the free end of the cantilever is typically represented by a UDL. Together, these elements work to create a stable and balanced structure.

5. What are some common sources of confusion when dealing with cantilevers, pin supports, and UDLs?

One common source of confusion is understanding the relationship between the three elements and how they work together to create a stable structure. Another source of confusion is knowing the appropriate equations and calculations to use when designing or analyzing a cantilever with pin supports and UDLs.