Cantilever square tube capacity

In summary, Jake is asking for advice on how to calculate the maximum uniform load on a single cantilever of an A36 steel tube that is solidly attached at one end and extends out 42". He has three options for the material: 1) 2"x2"x 1/4" sq. tube, 2) 3x3x 1/4" sq. tube, and 3) 2"x4" x 1/4" rect. tube. Jake is not sure how to determine the capacity of each material in this situation and is seeking advice. The suggested solution is to refer to Roark's for the necessary equations and then ensure that the maximum stress is within the allowable limit
superduty335
Hello everyone. I have a need concerning a project I'm building. I need to know, or need to know how to calculate the maximum uniform load on a single cantilever of A36 steel tube. It is solidly attached at one end and extends out 42". The material will be one of the following:
1) 2"x2"x 1/4" sq. tube
2) 3x3x 1/4" sq. tube
3) 2"x4" x 1/4" rect. tube
(4" wide by 2" tall, I know it's much stronger the other way but that isn't an option)

I'm not sure how to figure out the capacity of each material in the given situation. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Jake

Engineering news on Phys.org
superduty335 said:
Hello everyone. I have a need concerning a project I'm building. I need to know, or need to know how to calculate the maximum uniform load on a single cantilever of A36 steel tube. It is solidly attached at one end and extends out 42". The material will be one of the following:
1) 2"x2"x 1/4" sq. tube
2) 3x3x 1/4" sq. tube
3) 2"x4" x 1/4" rect. tube
(4" wide by 2" tall, I know it's much stronger the other way but that isn't an option)

I'm not sure how to figure out the capacity of each material in the given situation. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Jake

Take a look through Roark's. It has the equations you need for cantilevered beams. Then determine the max stress and ensure it is less than your allowable.

CS

Ok, cool. Thanks!

Related to Cantilever square tube capacity

What is the definition of "cantilever square tube capacity"?

Cantilever square tube capacity refers to the maximum load or weight that a square tube structure can support when it is supported at only one end.

How is cantilever square tube capacity calculated?

Cantilever square tube capacity is calculated by considering the material properties of the square tube, such as its cross-sectional area, moment of inertia, and yield strength, as well as the length of the cantilever and the type of load it will be subjected to.

What factors affect the cantilever square tube capacity?

The cantilever square tube capacity can be affected by various factors such as the material properties of the square tube, the length of the cantilever, the type and magnitude of the load, and the support conditions at the free end of the cantilever.

How does the shape of the square tube affect its cantilever capacity?

The shape of the square tube, specifically its cross-sectional area and moment of inertia, can greatly impact its cantilever capacity. A larger cross-sectional area and moment of inertia can increase the strength and stiffness of the tube, thus increasing its capacity.

Can the cantilever square tube capacity be increased?

Yes, the cantilever square tube capacity can be increased by using a stronger material, increasing the cross-sectional area or moment of inertia of the tube, or by providing additional support at the free end of the cantilever. However, it is important to note that the capacity of the tube is ultimately limited by its material properties.