Cap Bank Discharge Rate with 300v Spikes - New Threader

• Thread starter Dr. Mark Sexton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of a generator outputting 300v spikes at 333 spikes per second, and wanting to discharge these spikes into a 4700 uF/400v capacitor bank. The speakers discuss the difficulty in calculating the cap discharge rate and determining if a 555 timer is the appropriate tool for this task. They also raise concerns about the safety and effectiveness of this setup, and suggest getting more information before proceeding.
Dr. Mark Sexton
I have created a generator outputting 300v spikes at 333 spikes per second. Wanting to discharge spikes to
4700 uF/400v capacitor bank and am having trouble calculating the cap discharge rate, and if a 555 timer is the appropriate tool for discharging the capacitance into an inverter. I am a new threader but I love listening to you guys input each other, especially when you disagree. Its like listening to Sheldon and Leonard! And I mean this in the most respectful way.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dr. Mark Sexton said:
I have created a generator outputting 300v spikes at 333 spikes per second. Wanting to discharge spikes to
4700 uF/400v capacitor bank and am having trouble calculating the cap discharge rate, and if a 555 timer is the appropriate tool for discharging the capacitance into an inverter. I am a new threader but I love listening to you guys input each other, especially when you disagree. Its like listening to Sheldon and Leonard! And I mean this in the most respectful way.

Welcome to the PF.

Sorry, what you wrote is confusing to me. Why try to drive voltage spikes into capacitors? That's not an effective way to charge them.

And what experience do you have with higher voltages? Charging a 400V cap with a 300V source does not leave a lot of margin. And that's a lot of energy storage -- what is this setup for?

Hi Mark. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

First, a 400v capacitor for a 300v spike sounds less conservative than I'd like. I enjoy fire crackers only on Guy Fawkes night.

A lot depends on the current capability of your generator: a single spike may fully charge the capacitor to 300v, or it may barely add any charge. Is that 300v measured when there is no loading, or is the generator able to deliver 300v into just a few ohms?

The NE555 works up to only 20 or 30v, so maybe you aren't expecting the capacitor voltage to exceed that?

You say a "spike", implying it's of short duration, but its duration is nevertheless important.

In summary, not enough information. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Cap Bank Discharge Rate with 300v Spikes - New Threader

1. What is a cap bank discharge rate?

A cap bank discharge rate refers to the rate at which a capacitor bank discharges its stored energy. This is typically measured in volts per second or joules per second.

2. What are 300v spikes?

300v spikes refer to sudden, brief increases in voltage that reach a peak of 300 volts. These spikes can occur in electrical systems and can potentially cause damage if not properly managed.

3. How does a new threader affect cap bank discharge rate?

A new threader, which is a device used to insert and remove capacitors from a capacitor bank, can affect the discharge rate by ensuring that the capacitors are properly connected and able to discharge efficiently. This can help prevent damage to the capacitor bank and other electrical components.

4. Why is it important to monitor cap bank discharge rate?

Monitoring the cap bank discharge rate is important because it allows us to ensure that the capacitor bank is functioning properly and discharging at a safe and efficient rate. This can help prevent damage to the electrical system and ensure its overall performance.

5. Can the cap bank discharge rate be adjusted?

Yes, the cap bank discharge rate can be adjusted by changing the size or number of capacitors in the bank, as well as adjusting the resistance or voltage of the discharge circuit. However, it is important to consult with an expert to ensure that these adjustments are done safely and effectively.