Capacitance of Concentric Shells (different charges)

In summary, the problem involves two concentric thin conducting shells with different charges, and the task is to determine the charge distribution and capacitance of the shells. The solution requires finding the common potential of the shells, using the equation for capacitance, and considering the proportional relationship between capacitance and radius for spherical shells.
Hemmer

Homework Statement

A thin conducting shell of radius a has charge q. Concentric to this is another shell of radius b (b > a) with a different charge Q. How is the charge distributed and what is the capacitance of the two shells. No hint to the relative polarity of the charges is given.

Homework Equations

[tex]C = \frac{Q}{V}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The difficulty lies in the difference in the charges (I'm sure I'm missing something). Any reference to capacitance I see requires equal and opposite charges, leading me to think the the distribution must be something like:

Inside surface of small shell: no charge
Outside surface of small shell: +q

Inside surface of larger shell: -q (?)
Outside surface of larger shell: q + Q (?)

If I assume that it the charges are -q on inner and +q on outer then I think you could find it by:

[tex]E = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex]

[tex]V = -\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \int_a^b \frac{1}{r^2} = \frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \left(\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{b}\right)[/tex]

The just find the capacitance simply by [tex]C = \frac{q}{V}[/tex]

But there is no mention of Q which seems wrong. Any help or suggestions very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you connect the charged concentric shells, both must have the same potential.
The common potential is given by ( total charge/total capacity)
The capacitance of the spherical shell is proportional to its radius.

I would start by clarifying the problem with the person who assigned it. The mention of "no hint to the relative polarity of the charges" is concerning, as the polarity of the charges is crucial in determining the distribution and capacitance of the shells. Without this information, it is impossible to accurately solve the problem.

That being said, if we assume that the charges are of the same sign, then your proposed solution seems reasonable. The inner surface of the larger shell would have a charge of -q due to the repulsion of the inner charge q, while the outer surface would have a charge of q + Q due to the addition of the outer charge Q.

However, if we assume that the charges are of opposite signs, then the distribution and capacitance would be different. In this case, the inner surface of the larger shell would have a charge of -q + Q, while the outer surface would have a charge of q. The capacitance would also be different, as the potential difference between the shells would be the sum of the potentials due to each charge.

In conclusion, the problem needs to be clarified in order to accurately solve it. The polarity of the charges is crucial in determining the charge distribution and capacitance of the shells. Without this information, any proposed solution would be incomplete.

FAQ: Capacitance of Concentric Shells (different charges)

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electrical charge. It is measured in farads (F) and represents the ratio of the stored charge to the potential difference between the two conductors.

2. How is the capacitance of concentric shells with different charges calculated?

The capacitance of concentric shells with different charges can be calculated using the equation C = (Q1 - Q2)/V, where C is the capacitance, Q1 and Q2 are the charges on the inner and outer shells respectively, and V is the potential difference between the shells.

3. What is the relationship between the distance between the shells and the capacitance?

The capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the shells. This means that as the distance between the shells increases, the capacitance decreases and vice versa.

4. Can the capacitance of concentric shells be negative?

No, the capacitance of concentric shells cannot be negative. It is a physical quantity that represents the ability to store a charge, and negative capacitance would indicate the ability to store a negative charge, which is not possible.

5. How does the capacitance of concentric shells with different charges differ from that of parallel plate capacitors?

The capacitance of concentric shells with different charges is proportional to the difference in charges and inversely proportional to the potential difference, while the capacitance of parallel plate capacitors is directly proportional to the area of the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between them. Additionally, the field lines in concentric shells are radial, while those in parallel plate capacitors are perpendicular to the plates.

Back