Capacitive Current: Calculating Noise Across Capacitors

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of capacitive current in a simple capacitor where one side has a constant potential and the other has random potential. The formula for capacitive current is i = C de/dt, where 'i' is the current, 'C' is the capacitance, and 'de/dt' is the voltage differentiated with respect to time. However, with random potential on one side, the voltage is also random, making it difficult to calculate the derivative. Suggestions are made to use the root mean square of the voltage noise as the AC input, but it is noted that this may not accurately reflect the true thermal noise power across the capacitor.
Apteronotus
Hi,

Suppose you have a simple capacitor, where the potential on one side is held constant and the other is allowed to vary randomly.

What is the capacitive current?

thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
AC signals pass through capacitors as a function of their wavelength, I don't know the function off the top of my head however...

EDIT: Maybe this equation?

i = C de/dt

'i' is the current
'C' is the capacitance
'de/dt' is the voltage differentiated with respect to time, I don't know any fancy latex

James, thank you for your reply.

With my limited understanding of electricity, I presumed that to calculate capacitive currents we had to take the derivative. ie.
[tex]
I_C=\frac{dQ}{dt}
[/tex]
But since the potential is random (noise) on one side then [tex]Q[/tex] is random as well, and this would lead us to calculate the derivative of a random number.

Any idea?

Thanks

James Leighe said:
i = C de/dt

'i' is the current
'C' is the capacitance
'de/dt' is the voltage differentiated with respect to time, I don't know any fancy latex

Yes exactly, but in this case e - (the voltage differential) is random.
... Any clue?

thanks again,

I dunno, take the root mean square of the voltage 'noise' and use that as your AC 'input'?

Random in random out, you can only quantify the relationship here... which we have already done I think.

True thermal "noise" power across a capacitor may be an oxymoron, because the voltage is in phase-quadrature with the current, and therefore is not real power. Sometimes Johnson-Nyquist thermal noise power (e.g., kTB) formulas for low-bandwidth systems end up with a C in the formula, but this may be just due to a cancellation of R in R/RC.
Bob S

Related to Capacitive Current: Calculating Noise Across Capacitors

1. What is capacitive current?

Capacitive current is the flow of electric charge between two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material, such as a capacitor. This current is caused by the displacement of electrons in the dielectric material when a voltage is applied across the capacitor.

2. How is capacitive current different from resistive current?

Capacitive current is different from resistive current in that it is caused by the displacement of charge, while resistive current is caused by the flow of charge through a conductor. Capacitive current also leads the applied voltage, while resistive current is in phase with the voltage.

3. How do you calculate the noise across a capacitor?

The noise across a capacitor can be calculated using the formula Vn = √(4kTBR), where Vn is the noise voltage, k is Boltzmann's constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, B is the bandwidth, and R is the resistance in ohms.

4. How does the size of a capacitor affect the capacitive current?

The size of a capacitor, specifically the distance between the conductive plates and the surface area of the plates, affects the capacitive current by changing the amount of charge that can be stored. A larger capacitor with a larger surface area and smaller distance between the plates will have a higher capacitive current compared to a smaller capacitor.

5. What is the relationship between capacitive current and frequency?

The capacitive current is directly proportional to the frequency, meaning that as the frequency increases, the capacitive current also increases. This is because a higher frequency means a faster change in voltage, which leads to a larger displacement of charge and a higher capacitive current.

Back