Capacitor, circuits and how much charge is transferred

In summary: In this case, the increase in total charge stored on the capacitors would be 50% (or 1.5 times larger) because the squeezed capacitor now has a capacity of 12 microfarads, compared to the original 6 microfarads. So in summary, the additional charge transferred to the capacitors by the battery is 6 x 10^-5 C, and the increase in the total charge stored on the capacitors is 50%.
mm2424

Homework Statement

Two parallel plate capacitors, 6 microfarads each, are connected in parallel to a 10V battery. One of the capacitors is then squeezed so that its plate separation is 50% of its initial value. Because of the squeezing, (A) how much additional charge is transferred to the capacitors by the battery and (B) what is the increase in the total charge stored on the capacitors?

Homework Equations

C = ε A/d
C = Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I used C = ε A/d and found that the new capacity of the squeezed together capacitor is 12 microfarads. I then constructed an equivalent capacitor, with capacity of 18 microfarads and 10 V. I found that the charge (Q) here is (18 x 10^-6 Farads)(10V) = 1.8 x 10^-4 C.

The original capacitor configuration, with equivalent capacity of 12 microfarads, could only hold 1.2 x 10^-4 C, so I found that the difference in charge was 1.8 x 10^-4 C - 1.2 x 10^-4 C, which equals 6 x 10^-5 C.

I'm not sure whether this approach is right...and if it is, I don't know whether it's the answer to A or B. I can't tell the difference between what A is asking and what B is asking. If anyone could explain whether my approach is applicable to either A or B, and could also explain what the difference is between what both are asking, I would be super, super grateful.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach looks fine for answering part A. Usually when a question asks "what is the increase" or "what is the decrease", they are looking for a multiplier (e.g. '5 times larger') or a percentage increase or decrease.

FAQ: Capacitor, circuits and how much charge is transferred

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores electric charge. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material, which can be made of various materials such as ceramic, plastic, or air.

2. How does a capacitor work in a circuit?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, the electrons from one plate are attracted to the other plate, creating an electric field between them. This process allows the capacitor to store energy in the form of electric charge.

3. What is the unit of measurement for capacitance?

The unit of measurement for capacitance is called Farad (F). However, most capacitors used in electronic circuits have capacitance values in microfarads (μF) or picofarads (pF).

4. How much charge is transferred in a capacitor?

The amount of charge that can be stored in a capacitor depends on its capacitance value and the voltage applied to it. The formula for calculating charge is Q=CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs (C), C is the capacitance in farads (F), and V is the voltage in volts (V).

5. What factors affect the amount of charge transferred in a capacitor?

The amount of charge transferred in a capacitor is affected by the capacitance value, voltage applied, and the dielectric material used. The distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the type of material used for the plates also play a role in determining the amount of charge that can be stored.