Capacitor Energy with a Dielectric

In summary: So the energy is ##(1/2)(8.85*10^-12)(3)(.0015)/(2*5*10^-3)##In summary, the problem involves a dielectric-filled parallel-plate capacitor with given plate area, separation, dielectric constant, and battery voltage. The energy of the capacitor is calculated at three different stages: when the capacitor is fully filled, half-filled, and when the dielectric is completely removed. The work done by an external agent on the dielectric during the final stage is also calculated. The area given is in cm2 and is converted to m2 before being plugged into the equations.
JMaria

Homework Statement

A dielectric-filled parallel-plate capacitor has plate area A = 15.0cm2 , plate separation d = 5.00mm and dielectric constant k = 3.00. The capacitor is connected to a battery that creates a constant voltage V = 5.00V . Throughout the problem, use ϵ0 = 8.85×10−12C2/N⋅m2 .

a)Find the energy U1 of the dielectric-filled capacitor.
b)The dielectric plate is now slowly pulled out of the capacitor, which remains connected to the battery. Find the energy U2 of the capacitor at the moment when the capacitor is half-filled with the dielectric.
c)The capacitor is now disconnected from the battery, and the dielectric plate is slowly removed the rest of the way out of the capacitor. Find the new energy of the capacitor, U3.
d)In the process of removing the remaining portion of the dielectric from the disconnected capacitor, how much work W is done by the external agent acting on the dielectric?

Homework Equations

a) U=1/2CV2
U=1/2(V2(kε0A)/2d)

b)((K+1)ε0AV2)/4d

c)[((K+1)2)ε0AV2]/8d

d)[((K2)-1)ε0AV2]/8d

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, I got 9.96*10^-10 just by plugging those numbers given into the equation. I think I'm having an issue though with the scientific notation. I don't think I'm getting the right numbers. I used the A value and the d value in meters. I don't know if I was supposed to.

b)6.64*10-10

c) 1.32*10-9

d)6.64*10-10

Physics news on Phys.org
JMaria said:
I used the A value and the d value in meters. I don't know if I was supposed to.
##A## is an area; it should be in square meters.

So should I square the value first then convert it to meters? Am I plugging this in right?
For part A:

[(1/2)(8.85*10^-12)(3)(.225)]/(2*5*10^-3)

No, the area is 15 cm2. What is it in m2?

ehild

Is it .0015m^2?

Yes.

Related to Capacitor Energy with a Dielectric

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electric charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material, which can be air, paper, plastic, or other insulating materials.

2. What is dielectric material?

Dielectric material is a non-conductive material that is placed between the two plates of a capacitor to increase its ability to store electric charge. It is also known as an insulator.

3. How does a dielectric affect the energy stored in a capacitor?

A dielectric increases the capacitance of a capacitor, which in turn increases the amount of charge it can store. This results in an increase in the energy stored in the capacitor.

4. What is the formula for calculating the energy stored in a capacitor with a dielectric?

The formula for calculating the energy stored in a capacitor with a dielectric is U = 1/2 * C * V^2, where U is the energy stored in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts.

5. How does the dielectric constant affect the energy stored in a capacitor?

The dielectric constant is a measure of how well a material can polarize and increase the capacitance of a capacitor. As the dielectric constant increases, the capacitance and energy stored in the capacitor also increase.