Capacitor loop with no resistance ?

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit created in a circuit simulator that is not running due to a "capacitor loop with no resistance" issue. It is explained that this is a limitation of the simulator and can be resolved by adding a small resistor. The conversation also mentions the limitations of the simulator and possible solutions to fix the issue.
DocZaius
"Capacitor loop with no resistance" ?

In Circuit Simulator at http://falstad.com/circuit/ I created a circuit attached below which refuses to run because "capacitor loop with no resistance". To me it seems that there is no problem with this circuit and that the two capacitors will simply act as an equivalent capacitor of capacitors in parallel. They would charge up and that would be the end of that. What am I missing? The reason I'm posting here is that I assume there is that this is due to my lack of understanding of the physics of the situation rather than some bug.

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    687 bytes · Views: 2,020
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

There's nothing "wrong" with your circuit. Your two 10uF capacitors in parallel are equivalent to a 20uF capacitor.

I guess the problem is that the simulator only works for LRC circuits. It's not a general purpose simulator like SPICE.

DocZaius said:
In Circuit Simulator at http://falstad.com/circuit/ I created a circuit attached below which refuses to run because "capacitor loop with no resistance". To me it seems that there is no problem with this circuit and that the two capacitors will simply act as an equivalent capacitor of capacitors in parallel. They would charge up and that would be the end of that. What am I missing? The reason I'm posting here is that I assume there is that this is due to my lack of understanding of the physics of the situation rather than some bug.
This is a limitation of the simulator - it's saying there is a path that current can go, which is from one capacitor to another, and then back to the first, never encountering any resistance. That messes up the calculations. In real life that never happens, because everything has a very small resistance, even wires.

This is resolved by adding a very small resistor to either one of the capacitors - you can make it 0.001 ohms, which is the resistance of half an inch of wire AWG26.

AlephZero said:
There's nothing "wrong" with your circuit. Your two 10uF capacitors in parallel are equivalent to a 20uF capacitor.

I guess the problem is that the simulator only works for LRC circuits. It's not a general purpose simulator like SPICE.

It has its limitations, but it is general enough to simulate the internals of the 741:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43682&stc=1&d=1328754979

Attachments

• a.bmp
    270.1 KB · Views: 2,508

You are probably violating some conditions of the simulation. For example if one of the capacitors has an initial voltage different from the other then this is not a valid circuit and simulation is not possible unless a resistance is inserted as indicated.

FAQ: Capacitor loop with no resistance ?

1. What is a capacitor loop with no resistance?

A capacitor loop with no resistance is a circuit configuration in which a capacitor is connected in a closed loop with no resistive elements. This means that there is no opposition to the flow of current, resulting in an infinite current flow and an infinite rate of change of voltage across the capacitor. This type of circuit is ideal and not commonly found in real-world applications.

2. How does a capacitor loop with no resistance behave?

In a capacitor loop with no resistance, the current and voltage across the capacitor will continue to increase indefinitely until a voltage breakdown occurs. This is because with no resistance, there is nothing to slow down the current flow or limit the voltage buildup. As a result, the behavior of this circuit is not physically realizable.

3. What is the purpose of a capacitor loop with no resistance?

The purpose of a capacitor loop with no resistance is mainly for theoretical analysis and calculations. It allows for simplification of complex circuit systems and can help in understanding the behavior of circuits with resistors and capacitors in parallel or series configurations.

4. Can a capacitor loop with no resistance exist in real life?

No, a capacitor loop with no resistance cannot exist in real life. In real-world circuits, there will always be some amount of resistance, even if it is very small. This resistance can come from the wires, connectors, or other components in the circuit. Therefore, it is not physically possible to have a capacitor loop with no resistance.

5. What are the potential dangers of a capacitor loop with no resistance?

The main danger of a capacitor loop with no resistance is the potential for voltage breakdown and damage to the circuit components. The infinite current flow can also cause overheating and damage to the capacitor, which could lead to a short circuit and further damage to the circuit. Additionally, the behavior of this circuit is not physically realizable, so any calculations or analysis using this model may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios.