Capacitor Resistors problem, , exam preparation

In summary: So the two functions must be equal.For Vo, the initial condition is that the 2k resistor is shorted since there is no change in current flow from the steady state with the switch open. The final condition is Vo(t = ∞) = 6V as you stated above. Using a little algebra you should be able to find the value of Vc(t) at t = 0+ and hence Vo(0+).In summary, the problem deals with a transient circuit at t<0 where the capacitor is acting as an open circuit. The goal is to find the voltage across the capacitor, vc(t), and the output voltage, vo(t), for t>0. The initial conditions for vc(t
qpham26
Capacitor Resistors problem, URGENT PLZ, exam preparation

Homework Statement

In the following transient circuit, assume at t<0, the circuit is at steady state.
Assume vc(t) is the voltage across the capacitor and v0 (t) is the output voltage as shown:
Find (a) vc(0+) (b) vc(∞) (c) vc(t) and (d) v0(t) for t>0
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/c0.0.299.299/p403x403/381831_509320622420791_1588549456_n.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty first stuck right at the beginning
A)
For this part, the capacitor will act as "open", so I remove the capacitor.

But then I have no idea how to find the voltage.

B) After the switch is opened for ∞, we can again open the capacitor.
the 2K on the left will be out of the circuit as well?

so the voltage of the capacitor will be the same as the 4K on the right side?

the current will not go through the 2k in the middle?

if so, the voltage will be 6V?

C)we need V(0) for this and time constant. τ = c/Rth
to find Rth we remove all source and take out the capacitor.
and again, I am not sure if the 2K resistors will be in series?
if they are then just take the equilvalent resistor
[(2+2)|| 4]+4 = 6k ?
and then just plug into the Vc(t) = (V(0) - V(∞)) e(-t/T) + V(∞)

D) Is Vo(t) = Vc(t) for t>0
since Vo(t) = V of 4K?

Thanks for your time

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

qpham26 said:

Homework Statement

In the following transient circuit, assume at t<0, the circuit is at steady state.
Assume vc(t) is the voltage across the capacitor and v0 (t) is the output voltage as shown:
Find (a) vc(0+) (b) vc(∞) (c) vc(t) and (d) v0(t) for t>0
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/c0.0.299.299/p403x403/381831_509320622420791_1588549456_n.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty first stuck right at the beginning
A)
For this part, the capacitor will act as "open", so I remove the capacitor.

But then I have no idea how to find the voltage.
Just rearrange the layout a bit and I think you'll find an approach:

attachment.php?attachmentid=52588&stc=1&d=1351952274.gif

B) After the switch is opened for ∞, we can again open the capacitor.
the 2K on the left will be out of the circuit as well?

so the voltage of the capacitor will be the same as the 4K on the right side?

the current will not go through the 2k in the middle?

if so, the voltage will be 6V?
That looks fine. Proceed with the knowledge that the middle 2k resistor is "disappeared" by the opening of the switch.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 589
Last edited by a moderator:

thanks for your response. can you check my answers please. Follow that approach I get
a) Vc(0) = 10V

b)Vc(∞) = 6V

c) Vc(t) = (10-6)e^(-2.5t) + 6

d) Vc(t) =Vo(t) ??

Thanks for your time

qpham26 said:
thanks for your response. can you check my answers please. Follow that approach I get
a) Vc(0) = 10V

b)Vc(∞) = 6V

c) Vc(t) = (10-6)e^(-2.5t) + 6

d) Vc(t) =Vo(t) ??

Thanks for your time

Looks okay except for (d). Draw the equivalent circuit for time > 0. Initially the capacitor begins with its initial voltage of 10V from part (a). So pretend it's a voltage source at the instant t = 0+. What then is Vo initially?

It seem to me that if we go on to find Vo(0+) we then have to deal with superposition since there are 2 voltage source?

actually in the problem statement, there is a hint for part d, which says apply KCL at top node.

and I don't really know what to do with that hint and how to use equation from Vc(t) to find Vo(t)

=(

qpham26 said:
It seem to me that if we go on to find Vo(0+) we then have to deal with superposition since there are 2 voltage source?

actually in the problem statement, there is a hint for part d, which says apply KCL at top node.

and I don't really know what to do with that hint and how to use equation from Vc(t) to find Vo(t)

=(

Draw the circuit for the instant that the switch opens, replacing the capacitor with a voltage source of value equal to the initial capacitor potential:

attachment.php?attachmentid=52593&stc=1&d=1351957336.gif

Use whatever circuit analysis techniques you want to find the initial value for Vo. One method is to use nodal analysis (KCL) at the output node. Similarly, find Vo for time >> 0. These two endpoints are connected by an exponential function with the same time constant as the capacitor voltage function.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 589

Related to Capacitor Resistors problem, , exam preparation

1. What is a capacitor resistor problem?

A capacitor resistor problem refers to a circuit that consists of both a capacitor and a resistor. The problem typically involves calculating the voltage, current, or time constant of the circuit.

2. How do capacitors and resistors work together in a circuit?

Capacitors and resistors work together in a circuit to control the flow of electric current. The resistor limits the current flow, while the capacitor stores and releases charge, allowing for changes in voltage over time.

3. What is the time constant in a capacitor resistor circuit?

The time constant in a capacitor resistor circuit is a measure of the rate at which a capacitor charges or discharges. It is equal to the product of the resistance and the capacitance in the circuit.

4. How can I prepare for a capacitor resistor problem on an exam?

To prepare for a capacitor resistor problem on an exam, it is important to understand the basic principles of capacitors and resistors, such as their equations and how they behave in a circuit. Practice solving different types of problems and make sure to review any relevant formulas.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a capacitor resistor problem?

One common mistake when solving a capacitor resistor problem is forgetting to account for the initial charge on the capacitor. It is also important to make sure the units of capacitance and resistance are consistent when plugging them into equations. Additionally, be sure to double-check calculations and use the correct formula for the given problem.