Capacitors in parallel question

In summary, the problem involves two capacitors, one with a capacity of 4μF and charge of 200μC, the other with a capacity of 3μF and charge of 300μC. The capacitors are connected in parallel with their positive plates together. The total loss of energy in the process is 2.14×10^-3 Joule.
Shiuanchiam

Homework Statement

A 4μF capacitor is charged to a charge of 200 μC,and a 3μF capacitor is charged to a charge of 300μC. Both the capacitors are connected so that the positive plates are connected together. What is the total loss of energy in the process?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Loss of energy= E initial -E final
By using Energy =1/2 (Q^2)/c
The energy I get is the final energy or initial energy?
I'm kind of confused.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the final situation as one ‘big’ capacitor C=c1*c2/(c1+c2). Q=q1+q2. Now you can calculate energies…

Start by finding the initial energy stored in the system. That is, the sum of the energies stored in the two separate capacitors.

I note that the problem statement specifies that the positive plates of the two capacitors are connected together, but doesn't mention the negative plates. Is the problem statement quoted exactly or have you presented it in your own words? The reason I ask is that it is possible that it is meant to be a bit of a trick question...

Replusz said:
Think of the final situation as one ‘big’ capacitor C=c1*c2/(c1+c2). Q=q1+q2. Now you can calculate energies…
By using that equation what we get is the capacity in series, but when positive plate is connected together, isn't it suppose to be parallel? Capacity =C1+C2

gneill said:
Start by finding the initial energy stored in the system. That is, the sum of the energies stored in the two separate capacitors.

I note that the problem statement specifies that the positive plates of the two capacitors are connected together, but doesn't mention the negative plates. Is the problem statement quoted exactly or have you presented it in your own words? The reason I ask is that it is possible that it is meant to be a bit of a trick question...
Thanks.Yes it is quoted exactly.I assume that the statement is trying to show that the capacitors are arranged in parallel?

Shiuanchiam said:
Thanks.Yes it is quoted exactly.I assume that the statement is trying to show that the capacitors are arranged in parallel?
Okay, if that's the case then assuming the capacitors are connected in parallel, what's the total capacitance of the combination?

gneill said:
Okay, if that's the case then assuming the capacitors are connected in parallel, what's the total capacitance of the combination?
Total Capacitance = 3μ+4μ =7μ
So the final energy =1/2 (200μ+300μ)^2/7μ
Then do the initial energy separately = (1/2 (200μ)^2/4μ )+(1/2(300μ)^2/3μ)

Okay, what are your results for initial and final energy? BY the way, "μ" alone is not a unit. You should get into the habit of attaching the actual units so that you can trace issues with unit consistency should they arise. Thus μF and μC are valid units for capacitance and charge.

gneill said:
Okay, what are your results for initial and final energy? BY the way, "μ" alone is not a unit. You should get into the habit of attaching the actual units so that you can trace issues with unit consistency should they arise. Thus μF and μC are valid units for capacitance and charge.

Ok take note of that, Initial energy =0.02Joule
Final energy =0.01786Joule

Total loss of energy=0.02-0.01786 = 2.14×10^-3 Joule

Is that correct?

Looks good.

Related to Capacitors in parallel question

1. What is the purpose of connecting capacitors in parallel?

The purpose of connecting capacitors in parallel is to increase the total capacitance in a circuit. This allows for a larger amount of charge to be stored, and can also help to stabilize a circuit's voltage.

2. How do you calculate the total capacitance of capacitors in parallel?

The total capacitance of capacitors in parallel can be calculated by simply adding together the individual capacitance values of each capacitor. This means that the total capacitance will always be greater than the capacitance of any single capacitor.

3. What is the effect of adding more capacitors in parallel?

Adding more capacitors in parallel will increase the total capacitance of the circuit. This means that the circuit will be able to store more charge and also have a more stable voltage. However, it can also increase the circuit's overall size and cost.

4. Can capacitors in parallel have different capacitance values?

Yes, capacitors in parallel can have different capacitance values. However, it is important to note that the total capacitance of the circuit will be affected by the capacitance values of each individual capacitor. This means that the overall capacitance may not be exactly equal to the sum of the individual capacitance values.

5. What are some common applications of capacitors in parallel?

Capacitors in parallel are commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones. They are also used in power supply circuits to help regulate voltage and in audio systems to improve sound quality. Additionally, they are used in electric motors to help reduce electrical noise and improve efficiency.

Back