Capacitors in series and Parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a 12V battery, two capacitors in series, a resistor in parallel with both capacitors, and a resistor on the immediate left of the battery. The first problem is to calculate the equivalent capacitance of the two series capacitors, which is incorrectly done as simply summing the two capacitances. The correct formula for calculating equivalent capacitance is not provided. The next problem is to calculate the equivalent capacitance of the entire network. The correct formula is used, but it is unclear where the value for the second capacitor comes from. The maximum charge and energy that can be stored in the capacitor network are also calculated without the use of relevant equations. The conversation ends with a request for uploading a
KieranRC

There are a few problems here but it would be helpful if The below solutions could be checked and some insight provided for the last one/any other mistakes

The problem & The Solution Attempts

A circuit with a 12V battery then on the row below in series with the battery is a 120nF capacitor and a
3.2(mu)F capacitor then in parallel with those resistors is another resistor of 50nF. On the immediate left of the battery is a 270Ohm resistor.

First I am asked to calculate the equivalent capacitance of the two capacitors in series for which I did:
(1.2x10^-7) + (3.2x10^-6) = 3.32x10^-6 F

Next I was asked to work out the equivalent capacitance of this capacitor network
For which I did:

((1.2x10^-7)x(3.2x10^-6)) / ((1.2x10^-7)+(3.2x10^-6))= 1.16x10^-7

(1.16x10^-7) + (5x10^-8) = 1.66x10-7F

After this I was then asked to calculate the maximum charge that can be stored in this capacitor network for which i did:

(1.66x10-7)(12)=1.992x10^-6C

Then last but not least I was asked to calculate the maximum energy that could be stored in the smallest capacitor and I have no idea where to start.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
KieranRC said:
There are a few problems here but it would be helpful if The below solutions could be checked and some insight provided for the last one/any other mistakes

A circuit with a 12V battery then on the row below in series with the battery is a 120nF capacitor and a
3.2(mu)F capacitor then in parallel with those resistors is another resistor of 50nF. On the immediate left of the battery is a 270Ohm resistor.

First I am asked to calculate the equivalent capacitance of the two capacitors in series for which I did:

Next I was asked to work out the equivalent capacitance of this capacitor network
For which I did:

After this I was then asked to calculate the maximum charge that can be stored in this capacitor network for which i did:

Then last but not least I was asked to calculate the maximum energy that could be stored in the smallest capacitor and I have no idea where to start.

Thank You

I think the only additional fact you need is the formula for the energy in a capacitor: [itex]E = \frac{1}{2} C V^2[/itex]

stevendaryl said:
I think the only additional fact you need is the formula for the energy in a capacitor: [itex]E = \frac{1}{2} C V^2[/itex]
Okay great, thank you.
Does everything else look right to you?

KieranRC said:

This is unclear. You are mentioning resistors that you haven't described yet. How does what you describe form a closed path ("circuit")? What does the resistor in parallel with the battery do? (Is it a resistor?).

Please upload a drawing of your circuit.
That is not correct. Series capacitors do not simply sum. Capacitors in parallel sum. Where is your Relevant Equations section of the required formatting template? You should have listed the equations required to combine capacitors in series and in parallel.

Please use the formatting template when posting questions in the homework area.

gneill said:
This is unclear. You are mentioning resistors that you haven't described yet. How does what you describe form a closed path ("circuit")? What does the resistor in parallel with the battery do? (Is it a resistor?).

That is not correct. Series capacitors do not simply sum. Capacitors in parallel sum. Where is your Relevant Equations section of the required formatting template? You should have listed the equations required to combine capacitors in series and in parallel.

How do you go about adding a photo?

KieranRC said:
How do you go about adding a photo?
Use the UPLOAD button at the bottom right of the edit panel.

image.jpg
gneill said:

Homework Statement

Shown in

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

KieranRC said:

For which I did:

Thank You
[/B]

gneill said:
Use the UPLOAD button at the bottom right of the edit panel.
Is this okay? I have uploaded a photo of the problem

KieranRC said:
Is this okay? I have uploaded a photo of the problem
Yes, it's fine.

Now we can go through your answers:
KieranRC said:
That's not right. Note that capacitors in series do not combine by addition. How do they combine?
For which I did:

That looks fine. This time you combined the series capacitors correctly.

That looks fine.
Start by finding the steady-state charge or voltage on the smallest capacitor (that is, after some long time has passed after the circuit is connected and current has stopped flowing the capacitors reach their final charges or voltages).

What formulas do you know for determining the energy stored in a capacitor?

Related to Capacitors in series and Parallel

What are capacitors in series and parallel?

Capacitors in series and parallel refer to the different ways in which multiple capacitors can be connected in an electrical circuit. In series, the capacitors are connected end to end, while in parallel, they are connected side by side.

What is the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series and parallel?

The equivalent capacitance of capacitors in series is the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitance. The equivalent capacitance of capacitors in parallel is the sum of all the individual capacitances.

What is the effect of connecting capacitors in series and parallel?

Connecting capacitors in series decreases the overall capacitance of the circuit, while connecting them in parallel increases the overall capacitance. This is because in series, the capacitors share the same charge, while in parallel, they share the same voltage.

How do capacitors in series and parallel affect the total charge and voltage of a circuit?

In series, the total charge remains the same, while the voltage is divided among the capacitors. In parallel, the total charge increases, while the voltage stays the same for each capacitor.

What are some real-life applications of capacitors in series and parallel?

Capacitors in series and parallel are commonly used in electronic circuits, power supplies, and communication systems. They are also used in power factor correction, filtering, and energy storage in devices such as cameras, computers, and electric vehicles.