Capacity Matrix - transient heat

In summary: Forum memberIn summary, the initial nodal temperatures in 2-D time-dependent linear heat conduction for Finite Elements can be set to 1, but it is important to consider the boundary conditions in the model. These boundary conditions, such as convection edges and specific temperatures at certain nodes, will affect the overall solution of the simulation. It is recommended to incorporate these boundary conditions into the initial nodal temperatures and ensure consistency throughout the simulation for accurate results.
dinaharchery
Initial Nodal Temperatures

Please Help,

I am learning how to do 2-D time-dependent linear heat conduction for Finite Elements, and am progressing but have a question with nodal heat values.

I am using the explicit Euler Forward Difference algorithm and as such need to set initial nodal temperatures in the solution vector. Can the initial nodal temperatures be set to 1? I have some boundaries in the model (convection edge, and specific temperatures at a couple of nodes), should these values come into play for the initial nodal temperatures?

Thank you for any help.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question regarding initial nodal temperatures in 2-D time-dependent linear heat conduction for Finite Elements. The initial nodal temperatures can indeed be set to 1, as this is a common practice in numerical simulations. However, it is important to consider the boundary conditions in your model when setting these initial temperatures.

The boundary conditions, such as convection edges and specific temperatures at certain nodes, will affect the heat flow and temperature distribution within your model. Therefore, it is recommended to incorporate these boundary conditions into your initial nodal temperatures, as they will impact the overall solution of your simulation.

Additionally, it is important to ensure that the initial nodal temperatures are consistent with the boundary conditions throughout the simulation. This will help to ensure accurate and reliable results.

I hope this helps answer your question. Please let me know if you have any further inquiries. Good luck with your simulations!

FAQ: Capacity Matrix - transient heat

1. What is the Capacity Matrix for transient heat?

The Capacity Matrix for transient heat is a mathematical representation of the heat storage capacity of a material or system. It is used to calculate the amount of heat that can be stored in a material or system as it undergoes transient changes in temperature.

2. How is the Capacity Matrix used in heat transfer analysis?

The Capacity Matrix is used in conjunction with other heat transfer equations to analyze and predict the behavior of materials and systems undergoing transient changes in temperature. It is a key component in solving heat transfer problems involving conduction, convection, and radiation.

3. What factors influence the Capacity Matrix for a material?

The Capacity Matrix for a material is influenced by its physical properties such as density, specific heat capacity, and thermal conductivity. It is also affected by the material's shape, size, and boundary conditions.

4. How is the Capacity Matrix calculated?

The Capacity Matrix is calculated by multiplying the density of the material by its specific heat capacity and its volume. This value is then multiplied by the inverse of the time step to account for the transient nature of the heat transfer process.

5. Can the Capacity Matrix be used for non-linear heat transfer problems?

Yes, the Capacity Matrix can be used for non-linear heat transfer problems by incorporating the temperature dependence of the material's properties into the calculations. This allows for a more accurate representation of the material's heat storage capacity under varying temperature conditions.

Back