CaptainBlacks Occasional Problem #3

• MHB
  • Thread starter CaptainBlack
  • Start date
In summary, it is proven that the polynomials $P_n(x)=x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}- ... -2nx + (2n+1)$ have no real roots. This is proven by rewriting the polynomials in the form $(x^{2n-2}+2x^{2n-4}+3x^{2n-6}+...+n)(x-1)^2+(n+1)$, which shows that $P_n(x)$ is never equal to 0 for any real $x$. Additionally, by using Descartes' rule of signs, it is shown that the polynomial has no negative roots and the
CaptainBlack
Prove that the polynomials:

\[P_n(x)=x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}- ... -2nx + (2n+1),\ \ \ (n=1,2...)\]

have no real roots.

CB

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Still no replies to this one? I started by graphing $P_1(x)$ and $P_2(x)$, both of which have a positive global minimum at $x=1$ (and hence no real roots). That made me look for a factor of $(x-1)^2$, and I found that

$P_1(x) = x^2-2x+3 = (x-1)^2+2,$

$P_2(x) = x^4-2x^3+3x^2-4x+5 = (x^2+2)(x-1)^2+3,$

$P_3(x) = x^6-2x^5+3x^4-4x^3+5x^2-6x+7 = (x^4+2x^2+3)(x-1)^2+4.$

That should be enough of a pattern to suggest a solution. (Wink)

Opalg said:
Still no replies to this one? I started by graphing $P_1(x)$ and $P_2(x)$, both of which have a positive global minimum at $x=1$ (and hence no real roots). That made me look for a factor of $(x-1)^2$, and I found that

Claim: $P_n(x)=(x-1)^2R_n(x)+n+1$

Let $Q_n(x)=P_n(x)-n-1=x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}-\ldots-2nx+n$

$Q_n(1)=1-2+3-\ldots-2n+n=0$

$Q_n'(x)=2nx^{2n-1}-2(2n-1)x^{2n-2}+3(2n-2)x^{2n-3}-\ldots-2n$

$Q_n'(1)=2n-2(2n-1)+3(2n-2)-\ldots-2n=0$ (1st term cancels the last term, 2nd term cancels the 2nd last term etc.)

$Q_n(1)=Q_n'(1)=0\implies Q_n(x)=(x-1)^2R_n(x)$

So, $P_n(x)=(x-1)^2R_n(x)+n+1$

Now we just need to prove that $R_n(x)$ is always positive. It looks like $R_n(x)=x^{2n-2}+2x^{2n-4}+3x^{2n-6}+\ldots+n$. This needs a proof.

Last edited:
CaptainBlack said:

have no real roots.

CB

A slight hint: It is obvious that these polynomials have no negative roots, so we need only consider the posibility (or not) of positive roots.

CB

Opalg said:

By following the hints given by Opalg, I see that

$P_n(x) = x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}- ... -2nx + (2n+1) = (x^{2n-2}+2x^{2n-4}+3x^{2n-6}+...+n)(x-1)^2+(n+1),\ \ \ (n=1,2...)$

It's obvious that $P_n(x)\ne 0$ for all $ x\in R$.

Thus it suggests that \[P_n(x)=x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}- ... -2nx + (2n+1),\ \ \ (n=1,2...)\] has no real roots must be true.

Am I on the right track?

anemone said:
Am I on the right track?

Yes. You have to prove this, though:

$P_n(x) = x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}- ... -2nx + (2n+1) = (x^{2n-2}+2x^{2n-4}+3x^{2n-6}+...+n)(x-1)^2+(n+1),\ \ \ (n=1,2...)$

CaptainBlack said:
A slight hint: It is obvious that these polynomials have no negative roots, so we need only consider the posibility (or not) of positive roots.

CB

If I choose to use the hint provided by CB, I'll start to approach the problem by using the Descartes' rule of signs.

First, I assume the $ P_n(x)=x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}-...-2nx+(2n+1)$ has real roots.

From $ P_n(x)=x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}-...-2nx+(2n+1)$, I get
$ P_n(-x)=(-x)^{2n}-2(-x)^{2n-1}+3(-x)^{2n-2}-...-2n(-x)+(2n+1)$
$ P_n(-x)=x^{2n}+2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}-...+2nx+(2n+1)$
No sign changes between the coefficients of x's, that means if the polynomial $P_n(x)$ has any real roots, then it certainly has no real negative roots.

Now, I consider the case where $ P_n(x)=x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}-...-2nx+(2n+1)$.
I see that the number of sign changes equals to 2n, so, based on the Descartes' rule of signs I can conclude that the number of positive roots of the polynomial $P_n(x)$is either equal to the number of sign differences between consecutive nonzero coefficients, i.e. 2n or is less than it by a multiple of 2.

That is to say, we're now need to consider two cases:
I: the number of positive real roots = 2n or
II: the number of positive real roots = 2n-2k, $k=1, 2, ..., n$ and the number of positive complex roots in the form $a\pm b\sqrt {c}$ where $a>b\sqrt {c}$ =2k, $k=1, 2, ..., n$But we can also tell right from the start that the product of all roots of $ P_n(x)=x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}-...-2nx+(2n+1)$ is -(2n+1) for n=1, 2, ..., that is, the product of all the real positive roots (be it two integers/fractions or two pair of positive complex roots) = -ve.

Obviously this leads to contradiction and we can conclude at this point that the polynomial $ P_n(x)=x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}-...-2nx+(2n+1)$ has no real roots.

Edit: I made a horrible mistake by saying that the product of all roots = - (2n+1) which is wrong. It should be (2n+1). So, my effort in proving in this post have been amounted to zero, zip, nothing. Please kindly dismiss it.

---------- Post added at 07:02 ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 ----------

Alexmahone said:

I think the pattern could be generalized from the hint given by Opalg.

Last edited:
anemone said:
If I choose to use the hint provided by CB, I'll start to approach the problem by using the Descartes' rule of signs.

First, I assume the $ P_n(x)=x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}-...-2nx+(2n+1)$ has real roots.

From $ P_n(x)=x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}-...-2nx+(2n+1)$, I get
$ P_n(-x)=(-x)^{2n}-2(-x)^{2n-1}+3(-x)^{2n-2}-...-2n(-x)+(2n+1)$
$ P_n(-x)=x^{2n}+2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}-...+2nx+(2n+1)$
No sign changes between the coefficients of x's, that means if the polynomial $P_n(x)$ has any real roots, then it certainly has no real negative roots.

Now, I consider the case where $ P_n(x)=x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}-...-2nx+(2n+1)$.
I see that the number of sign changes equals to 2n, so, based on the Descartes' rule of signs I can conclude that the number of positive roots of the polynomial $P_n(x)$is either equal to the number of sign differences between consecutive nonzero coefficients, i.e. 2n or is less than it by a multiple of 2.

That is to say, we're now need to consider two cases:
II: the number of positive real roots = 2n-2k, $k=1, 2, ..., n$ and the number of positive complex roots in the form $a\pm b\sqrt {c}$ where $a>b\sqrt {c}$ =2k, $k=1, 2, ..., n$

What are positive complex roots, and where will you find a reference to what Descartes rule of signs says about this sort of sign of the complex roots?

CB

My mistakes.
I want to clarify that the following observations were not right.
"That is to say, we're now need to consider two cases:
II: the number of positive real roots = 2n-2k, $k=1, 2, ..., n$ and the number of positive complex roots in the form $a\pm b\sqrt {c}$ where $a>b\sqrt {c}$ =2k, $k=1, 2, ..., n$
"
Reason:
1. I didn't know why on Earth I called $a\pm b\sqrt {c}$ as complex roots. I'm sorry.
2. This "...based on the Descartes' rule of signs I can conclude that the number of positive roots of the polynomial $P_n(x)$is either equal to the number of sign differences between consecutive nonzero coefficients, i.e. 2n or is less than it by a multiple of 2." was taken at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descartes'_rule_of_signs whereas the two generated cases were my own conclusions.I'm sorry for confusing you, CB.
My apologies.

Alexmahone said:
My proof of that was just to multiply out the product on the right hand side:

$$\begin{aligned}(x^{2n-2}+2x^{2n-4}+3x^{2n-6}+...+n)(x^2-2x+1) \\ =& x^{2n}\phantom{{}-2x^{2n-1}}+2x^{2n-2}\phantom{{}-4x^{2n-3}}+3x^{2n-4} \phantom{{}-2x^{2n-1}}+ \ldots \\ &\phantom{x^{2n}} - 2x^{2n-1} \phantom{{}+2x^{2n-2}} - 4x^{2n-3} \phantom{{}+2x^{2n-2}} -6x^{2n-5} -\ldots \\ &\phantom{x^{2n} - 2x^{2n-1}} +\phantom{1}x^{2n-2}\phantom{{}-2x^{2n-1}} + 2x^{2n-4} \phantom{{}-2x^{2n-1}} +\ldots \\ &\phantom{x}\\ =& x^{2n}-2x^{2n-1}+3x^{2n-2}-4x^{2n-3} + 5x^{2n-4}-6x^{2n-5}+\ldots \end{aligned}$$

For $0\leqslant k\leqslant n-1$ the coefficient of $x^{2n-2k}$ is $k+(k+1)=2k+1$ and the coefficient of $x^{2n-2k-1}$ is $-2(k+1)$. The constant term is $n$. So the resulting polynomial is $P_n(x) - (n+1)$.

Solution: CaptainBlacks Occasional Problem #3

This again is from the Purdue PotW

have no real roots.

================================================

Solution:
These obviously have no negative roots (either from Descartes rule of signs or observing that the odd powers of \(x \) all have -ve signs)

So for \(x>0\) consider:
\[P_n(x)+xP_n(x)=x(x^{2n}-x^{2n-1}+x^{2n-2}- ... - x+1) + (2n+1) \]
Now the bracketed term is a finite geometric series and so we may replace it with its sum to get:
\[P_n(x)(1+x)=x \left[ \frac{1+x^{2n+1}}{1+x}\right] + (2n+1) \]
or:
\[P_n(x)=x \left[ \frac{1+x^{2n+1}}{(1+x)^2}\right] + \frac{2n+1}{1+x}>0 \]
and so as \(P_n(0) \ne 0\) we have \(P_n(x)>0\) for all real \(x\)

The above is somewhat different from the solution given on the Purdue PotW site, mainly in that it avoids an unexplained step, which while probably valid I find opaque.

CB

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to CaptainBlacks Occasional Problem #3

1. What is "CaptainBlacks Occasional Problem #3"?

"CaptainBlacks Occasional Problem #3" is a fictional scenario that may arise in a research experiment or scientific study. It is not a real problem, but rather a hypothetical situation used to illustrate the challenges and complexities of scientific research.

2. Who is CaptainBlack?

CaptainBlack is not a real person. They are a fictional character created for the purpose of the "CaptainBlacks Occasional Problem" scenarios. They represent a scientist or researcher facing a difficult situation in their work.

3. What is the purpose of "CaptainBlacks Occasional Problem #3"?

The purpose of the "CaptainBlacks Occasional Problem" scenarios is to help scientists and researchers think critically about potential challenges and obstacles in their work. By considering these hypothetical situations, researchers can better prepare for and address real-life problems that may arise in their experiments or studies.

4. How can "CaptainBlacks Occasional Problem #3" be solved?

Since "CaptainBlacks Occasional Problem #3" is a fictional scenario, there is no one correct solution. However, as a scientist, it is important to approach any problem with a systematic and evidence-based approach. This may involve conducting further research, consulting with colleagues, or adjusting the experimental design.

5. Are there other "CaptainBlacks Occasional Problems"?

Yes, there are multiple "CaptainBlacks Occasional Problems" scenarios that have been created for scientific training and education purposes. These scenarios cover a range of topics and challenges that scientists and researchers may encounter in their work.