Capturing Light Leaving Its Source: Is it Possible?

In summary: When I say "light" I'm referring to a light source like a laser.Yes, if the shutter speed is slow enough you may be able to see a pulse, depending on the distance and intensity of the light.
ABHoT
Will it ever be possible to use a high enough speed 'camera' to film light leaving a source?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No, because light is only detected when it actually hits a detector. Speed is irrelevant.

What else than light, is a camera filming ?

Actually a camera IS a detector for light. :wink:

Last edited:
Do you mean high enough speed as in the "speed" of a camera? That is, how quickly the picture taking action is?

And actually yah, as russ said, it's irrelevant, the light has to hit the detector/film before it can be detected.

I believe you may be able to see a pulse if the laser light is directed away from you and is scattered off dust...but I'm not sure what you'd see since the laser would move as much forward as the scattered light moved towards you at the same time. My guess is that you can't make a shutter move fast enough to resolve anything like this (even at 10,000fps, the light pulse would move 30km between each frame).

So don't use a shutter... Or perhaps more to the point: what activates the shutter - a light sensor...?

Matterwave said:
I believe you may be able to see a pulse if the laser light is directed away from you and is scattered off dust...but I'm not sure what you'd see
See http://128.183.240.121/apod/ap060125.html".
Here, a shutter time of some weeks would be enough for a sharp picture. Size does matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, since they are very very far away and produce very large shockwaves, we can see this using slow shutter speed since even though the light has moved millions of km in the time between pictures, millions of km on that scale isn't too large. I thought the OP wanted to see something like a laser shooting out of a laser pointer though...

Thanks. I was originally thinking of a sphere of light leaving a light bulb. I guess if it was dark and the air was full of dust and you could get that many frames. :\
I understand a bit better now.

I think I need to drop the seeing is believing when it comes to light and stop imagining filming it traveling for it to still be so.

Related to Capturing Light Leaving Its Source: Is it Possible?

1. Can light be captured as it leaves its source?

Yes, it is possible to capture light as it leaves its source. This process is known as photography or imaging.

2. How is light captured?

Light is captured through various methods, such as using cameras or other imaging devices, which use lenses to focus the light onto a photosensitive surface such as film or a digital sensor.

3. Is it possible to capture light leaving its source in real-time?

Yes, it is possible to capture light leaving its source in real-time using high-speed photography or video recording techniques.

4. What types of light can be captured?

All types of visible light and some forms of non-visible light, such as infrared and ultraviolet, can be captured using specialized equipment.

5. Is capturing light leaving its source ethical?

As a scientist, it is important to consider the ethical implications of capturing light leaving its source, especially in sensitive situations such as scientific research or artistic photography. It is important to obtain consent and adhere to ethical guidelines when capturing light in these situations.