Car Crash numbers not working?

In summary: In the second part, how was 1445000 N obtained?In the second part, the deceleration takes place in the space of 5 mm, the speed of the car passes from 17m/sec to zero, and the person has a 50kg mass.
Phoenixtears
SOLVED

Homework Statement

Seat belts and air bags save lives by reducing the forces exerted on the driver and passengers in an automobile collision. Cars are designed with a "crumple zone" in the front of the car. In the event of an impact, the passenger compartment decelerates over a distance of about 1 meter as the front of the car crumples. An occupant restrained by seat belts and air bags decelerates with the car. By contrast, an unrestrained occupant keeps moving forward with no loss of speed (Newton's first law!) until hitting the dashboard or windshield. These are unyielding surfaces, and the unfortunate occupant then decelerates over a distance of only about 5 mm.
(a) A 50 kg person is in a head-on collision. The car's speed at impact is 17 m/s. Calculate the net force on the person if he or she is wearing a seat belt and the air bag deploys correctly.
7225 N

(b) Calculate the net force that ultimately stops the person if he or she is not restrained by a seat belt or air bag.
1445000N

(c) How do these two forces compare to the person's weight?

F(a) / W =
F(b) / W =

Homework Equations

F= ma
Vf^2= V0^2 + 2ax
Vf= V0 + at
x= V0*t + .5a(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

This one I have absolutely why my answers aren't checking. I've done all the force work (answers are in red), and for c) the equations are literally given to us. F(a)/ W and F(b)/ W. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but F(a) is my answer for a) and F(b) is my answer for b). If my person is 50 kg (and weight is measured in kg) then why in the world are my answers not working? ( 7225 /50 and 1445000 /50).

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Phoenixtears said:

Homework Statement

Seat belts and air bags save lives by reducing the forces exerted on the driver and passengers in an automobile collision. Cars are designed with a "crumple zone" in the front of the car. In the event of an impact, the passenger compartment decelerates over a distance of about 1 meter as the front of the car crumples. An occupant restrained by seat belts and air bags decelerates with the car. By contrast, an unrestrained occupant keeps moving forward with no loss of speed (Newton's first law!) until hitting the dashboard or windshield. These are unyielding surfaces, and the unfortunate occupant then decelerates over a distance of only about 5 mm.
(a) A 50 kg person is in a head-on collision. The car's speed at impact is 17 m/s. Calculate the net force on the person if he or she is wearing a seat belt and the air bag deploys correctly.
7225 N

(b) Calculate the net force that ultimately stops the person if he or she is not restrained by a seat belt or air bag.
1445000N

(c) How do these two forces compare to the person's weight?

F(a) / W =
F(b) / W =

Homework Equations

F= ma
Vf^2= V0^2 + 2ax
Vf= V0 + at
x= V0*t + .5a(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

This one I have absolutely why my answers aren't checking. I've done all the force work (answers are in red), and for c) the equations are literally given to us. F(a)/ W and F(b)/ W. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but F(a) is my answer for a) and F(b) is my answer for b). If my person is 50 kg (and weight is measured in kg) then why in the world are my answers not working? ( 7225 /50 and 1445000 /50).

Thanks again!
I think that the thing that is going wrong is the confusion between the weight and the mass.
Weight=Mass*Acceleration due to gravity(9.81 m s-2)

ritwik06 said:
I think that the thing that is going wrong is the confusion between the weight and the mass.
Weight=Mass*Acceleration due to gravity(9.81 m s-2)

Ahhh, I see. For weight is a force, and force equals mass*acceleration. Very, very logical. Thank you so much!

~Phoenix

Hello,

Can anyone please explain how to get the answers for all three parts?? For example, for the first one, how was 7225 N obtained?

physics120

In the first part, the deceleration takes place in the space of 1 metre, the speed of the car passes from 17m/sec to zero, and the person has a 50kg mass.

Use the following equation to find the deceleration then multiply that by the mass to get the force.

FinalVelocity² = InitialVelocity² + 2*Deceleration*Distance

Note that the deceleration is just a negative acceleration!

Related to Car Crash numbers not working?

1. Why do car crash numbers sometimes not match up with reported accidents?

There are a few potential reasons for this discrepancy. One possibility is that some accidents may not be reported to the authorities, leading to an underestimation of the total number of car crashes. Additionally, there may be errors in data collection or reporting, which can result in inaccurate numbers. Finally, changes in reporting criteria or methodology over time can also affect the consistency of car crash numbers.

2. Are car crash numbers reliable for determining the safety of a particular area?

While car crash numbers can provide some insight into the safety of an area, they should not be relied upon as the sole indicator. Other factors such as road conditions, weather, and driver behavior also play a significant role in determining the likelihood of an accident. It is essential to consider multiple factors when evaluating the safety of an area.

3. How often are car crash numbers updated?

The frequency of updates for car crash numbers varies depending on the source of the data. Some organizations may update their numbers monthly or annually, while others may do so in real-time. It is essential to check the date of the data when using car crash numbers for research or analysis.

4. Can car crash numbers be used to predict future accidents?

Car crash numbers can provide insight into the likelihood of accidents in a particular area, but they should not be used as a predictive tool. Many factors can influence the frequency of car crashes, and it is challenging to accurately predict future accidents based on past numbers alone.

5. How can I access car crash numbers for a specific location?

There are various sources for car crash numbers, including government agencies, research institutions, and private organizations. Depending on the location, some data may be publicly available online, while others may require a request or subscription. It is best to consult multiple sources to get a comprehensive understanding of car crash numbers for a particular area.