Car & Scooter: Momentum & Force - Who Needs More?

In summary, the car will require more force to stop than the scooter in both cases, as the car has a higher mass and velocity, resulting in a larger momentum. However, the relationship between force and time or force and distance may differ in each case, so the specific answer may vary. It is important to understand the concept of momentum and its relationship to force and time or distance in order to determine the correct solution.
Saanchi
a car of mass 600 kg travels with a speed of 10m/s and a scooter of mass 80kg with 50m/s

Which will require more force to stop
(1) in same time
2) in same distance
Give reasons

Ans :
((2) car because being lighter it will acquire more momentum as momentum depends on product of force and time duration. Thus lighter body will acquire more momentum
Am I right ? Or have I got it wrong?
And answer to part 1 please

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. revise back the defination of momentum. Sometimes we can use mathematics approach to answer the question. Especially for this type of question where the given the quantities are not the same and can't be compared directly.

Btw, the momentum approach is for part 1, it will be easier to solve the 2nd question with another way

yes I know that momentum is product of mass and velocity
But change in momentum is dependant on force and time duration..
So could u please tell me the answers with reasons..

For the first question, why don't u calculate the momentum for each vehicles? What is the relationship between momentum, force and time?

Saanchi said:
change in momentum is dependant on force and time duration.
after calculating the momentum for each vehicles,by relating it to force and time, you will have 2 equations. Since they will stop at the same time, which one is easier to stop? The vehicle with larger momentum or the lower one? You can link those equations together since both equations have the same constant.

For the second part, since they will stop at the same distance, how can we relate distance, force, mass and velocity together? Think along this line and u will get the answer surely. The answer in part b will not be the same as in part a:wink:

honlin said:
For the second part, since they will stop at the same distance, how can we relate distance, force, mass and velocity together? Think along this line and u will get the answer surely. The answer in part b will not be the same as in part a:wink:
Part 1) car
2) scooter
Am I right

Saanchi said:
yes I know that momentum is product of mass and velocity
But change in momentum is dependant on force and time duration..
So could u please tell me the answers with reasons..

No, that is against the PF rules. You need to do the work yourself, or ask for hints, not solutions.

Related to Car & Scooter: Momentum & Force - Who Needs More?

1. What is momentum and force?

Momentum is the measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity. Force is a push or pull on an object that can cause it to accelerate or change direction.

2. How are momentum and force related?

Momentum and force are directly proportional. This means that as the force acting on an object increases, its momentum also increases.

3. Who needs more momentum and force, a car or a scooter?

A car needs more momentum and force due to its larger mass and higher velocity compared to a scooter. This is why cars require more powerful engines and braking systems to maintain control.

4. Why is momentum important in driving?

Momentum is important in driving because it affects the ability to control and stop a vehicle. A car with high momentum will take longer to stop compared to a scooter with lower momentum. This is why it is important for drivers to maintain safe speeds and follow traffic laws.

5. How can momentum and force be controlled while driving?

Drivers can control momentum and force by adjusting their speed, using brakes and steering appropriately, and following traffic laws. It is important to maintain safe speeds and avoid sudden changes in direction to prevent accidents and maintain control of the vehicle.