Carbon dating converter INTCAL09

In summary, carbon dating is a reliable way to estimate the age of organic material, but it is important to be aware of the caveats and limitations involved. Calibration of carbon dating is constantly being improved and there are software tools available to facilitate this process. However, these tools may not always be updated with the latest calibration table, and there can be issues with handling carbon dating platforms. To address this, the conversation participants have developed a spreadsheet tool that can warn of potential carbon platforms and provide a better understanding of the error ranges involved. This tool also includes Marine09 data for dating marine organisms. Overall, the conversation highlights the need for continued improvement and understanding of carbon dating in order to accurately estimate the age of organic material.
Andre
We did several threads about carbon dating. Main message, you've got to know what the caveats are and then it's a good and reliable way to estimate the age of organic material from the last 50,000 years.

A major point is calibration, which is improved and refined every few years. There is software around on the net to facilitate calibration, like Calib, Calpal, Oxcal etc. The problem is that it's sometimes not updated with the latest calibration table and another problem is, handling of carbon dating platforms. I see that the wiki does not elaborate, but due to relatively large changes of 14C concentrations in the past, the calibration curve has steeper and flatter parts. In the flat - near horizontal parts a 14C date can enclose a large real date range, introducing a large error.

So I made a bit of an improved version of my good old http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/carbon-dating-converter-intcal09-02.xlsx that warns if it finds a 'platform'. It's in my dropbox, for anybody who wants to try it. Of course, tearing it down to pieces is welcomed, so that we could make an improved one.

Just enter the 14C date in B1 and either the error range in D1 or a basic error percentage in B2, or no error at all.

Enter for instance 10000 (14C years) and the output is 11395 Cal years BP (before present) +/- 5 (indicating the interval in which the value is chosen). However enter 10020 years and we see a carbon platform with the output 11500 Cal yars BP +/- 100 years, giving an impression of the length of platform.

You can find how it's done, in the second tab, 'intcal09table'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I added Marine09 data, just in case you were about to date those mollusks.

Thanks for sharing this tool! I agree that calibration is a crucial aspect of carbon dating and it's important for people to understand the limitations and potential errors involved. Your spreadsheet seems like a great way to visualize and understand the concept of carbon platforms and the potential for larger error ranges. I'll definitely give it a try and see if I can provide any feedback for improvement. Thanks again for sharing!

Related to Carbon dating converter INTCAL09

What is "Carbon dating converter INTCAL09"?

Carbon dating converter INTCAL09 is a tool used by scientists to convert radiocarbon ages into calendar ages. It is based on the internationally agreed upon calibration curve known as INTCAL09, which is used to adjust for fluctuations in atmospheric carbon levels.

How does the INTCAL09 calibration curve work?

The INTCAL09 calibration curve is created by comparing radiocarbon ages obtained from tree rings, lake and ocean sediments, and other sources with known calendar ages. This allows for the correction of radiocarbon ages to account for changes in atmospheric carbon levels over time.

Why is the INTCAL09 calibration curve important for carbon dating?

The INTCAL09 calibration curve is important because it provides a more accurate and precise way to determine the age of organic materials. Without this correction, radiocarbon dating results can be skewed by changes in atmospheric carbon levels, leading to inaccurate age estimations.

How frequently is the INTCAL09 calibration curve updated?

The INTCAL09 calibration curve is updated every few years as new data becomes available. The most recent version, INTCAL20, was released in 2020 and is currently the most up-to-date calibration curve used by scientists.

Can the INTCAL09 calibration curve be used for all types of carbon dating?

The INTCAL09 calibration curve is specifically designed for radiocarbon dating, which is used to determine the age of organic materials up to 50,000 years old. It cannot be used for other types of radiometric dating, such as potassium-argon dating or uranium-lead dating.