Carbon Nucleosynthesis: Exploring Its Role in the Universe's Evolution

In summary, there is some debate about the origin of carbon in the universe, with some suggesting that low-mass stars may play a role in its production. However, it is generally agreed that high-mass stars and supernovae are the main sources of carbon. It has been calculated that in the 13 billion years since the universe was formed, there has been enough time for carbon to reach its current abundance in the solar system, but the exact details of how this occurred are still being studied.
TrickyDicky
There's this kid mentioned in another thread that seems to raise doubts about carbon nucleosynthesis but the thread was locked, so I thought I'd ask the experts :If all the carbon of the universe is produced in masive stellar fusion nucleosynthesis, is 13 billion years time enough to reach the present high abundance of this element in solar systems?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes.

I agree with Vanadium. Clearly yes. Carbon currently represents about 0.4% by weight of the ordinary matter in our galaxy, so the abundance is really not that high. You're seeing a skewed abundance in a place like the Earth, because on a terrestrial planet the main elements (hydrogen and helium) evaporate away.

phyzguy said:
I agree with Vanadium. Clearly yes. Carbon currently represents about 0.4% by weight of the ordinary matter in our galaxy, so the abundance is really not that high. You're seeing a skewed abundance in a place like the Earth, because on a terrestrial planet the main elements (hydrogen and helium) evaporate away.

I thought apart from H and He of course, Carbon was the second abundant element in the universe, pretty close to Oxygen.

But I have seen a couple of references in the first page after I googled "carbon nucleosynthesis" that point to a carbon open issue for instance with the origin of high carbon abundances in the early universe, as in this article's named "The origin of carbon: Low-mass stars and an evolving, initially top-heavy IMF?" by L. Mattson abstract where they conclude: "The stellar origin of carbon remains an open question, although production in low- and intermediate-mass stars appears to be the simplest explanation of observed carbon abundance trends"
Actually I thought models of stellar nucleosynthesis say that in low mass stars carbon is kept in the core and it doesn't spread out.
Anybody?, any hint about this?

Though I must say that after the extense and highly educational answer by Vanadium 50 in post #2 I wonder what else can be said.

My numbers have current abundances with H at 71%, He at 27%, O at 1%, C at about 0.4%, and Fe and Ne next at about 0.2% each (all by weight). How detailed a model are you looking for? There clearly has been enough time to produce this much carbon, given the large uncertainties in things like how much stellar mass get recycled into the ISM, and the exact distribution of elements produced during different types of supernovae. But I think these questions have to do more with adding detail to the current model of stellar nucleosynthesis, rather than calling stellar nucleosynthesis itself into question.

Obviously low mass stars, like the sun, are not major contributors to the interstellar carbon inventory, but, type II supernova are prime suspects. Progenitor stars' atmospheres are carbon rich and, when the core collapses, most of this carbon is dispersed into space.

TrickyDicky said:
But I have seen a couple of references in the first page after I googled "carbon nucleosynthesis" that point to a carbon open issue for instance with the origin of high carbon abundances in the early universe, as in this article's named "The origin of carbon: Low-mass stars and an evolving, initially top-heavy IMF?" by L. Mattson abstract where they conclude: "The stellar origin of carbon remains an open question, although production in low- and intermediate-mass stars appears to be the simplest explanation of observed carbon abundance trends"
Actually I thought models of stellar nucleosynthesis say that in low mass stars carbon is kept in the core and it doesn't spread out.
I think that's just what they meant by the "open question" in the stellar origin of carbon-- not that it's open as to whether stars do it (there's no other game in town), but rather, whether high-mass or low-mass stars do it. It was long thought that low-mass stars retained their carbon, so were not an important source for the ISM, but this is just what recent studies have called into question. I don't know the details about it, but my impression is, the dense winds of AGB stars (low-mass stars becoming red giants for the final time) are now thought to be important carbon sources for the ISM. Judging from the title of that paper, I might speculate that what they are talking about is a process where high-mass stars in the initially "top-heavy" IMF would dominate early carbon formation, but this tends to change the IMF until more low-mass stars are made, which then take over as carbon sources to the IMF.

Ken G said:
I think that's just what they meant by the "open question" in the stellar origin of carbon-- not that it's open as to whether stars do it (there's no other game in town), but rather, whether high-mass or low-mass stars do it. It was long thought that low-mass stars retained their carbon, so were not an important source for the ISM, but this is just what recent studies have called into question.

So would say that without those alternative sources of carbon based on alternative stellar evoulution trends, the high mass only stars could account for the observed carbon abundance in the 13 bly time span considered?

I don't know myself, but the conclusions that others seem to be reaching is that yes, the high-mass stars by themselves could not have produced the ISM carbon in 13 billion years, they need some help from low-mass stars.

Ken G said:
I don't know myself, but the conclusions that others seem to be reaching is that yes, the high-mass stars by themselves could not have produced the ISM carbon in 13 billion years, they need some help from low-mass stars.

Thanks.

Chronos said:
Obviously low mass stars, like the sun, are not major contributors to the interstellar carbon inventory, but, type II supernova are prime suspects. Progenitor stars' atmospheres are carbon rich and, when the core collapses, most of this carbon is dispersed into space.

There are more low mass stars than the big boys, but their evolution is slower too. Intermediate mass stars - like Sirius - probably disperse a lot more C & O during their late phases than previously believed, dredging up their guts and blowing that into the ISM.

Related to Carbon Nucleosynthesis: Exploring Its Role in the Universe's Evolution

1. What is carbon nucleosynthesis?

Carbon nucleosynthesis is the process by which carbon atoms are formed in the core of a star through the fusion of smaller atoms. This occurs through the triple alpha process, where three helium nuclei fuse to form a carbon nucleus.

2. How does carbon nucleosynthesis impact the evolution of the universe?

Carbon nucleosynthesis plays a crucial role in the evolution of the universe by providing the building blocks for all carbon-based life forms. Without carbon, the complex molecules necessary for life would not exist, making it a crucial element in the development of the universe.

3. What are the key elements involved in carbon nucleosynthesis?

The key elements involved in carbon nucleosynthesis are hydrogen, helium, and carbon. Hydrogen and helium are the most abundant elements in the universe and are necessary for the formation of carbon through fusion reactions.

4. How does the process of carbon nucleosynthesis differ from other nucleosynthesis processes?

The process of carbon nucleosynthesis is unique in that it requires significantly higher temperatures and pressures compared to other nucleosynthesis processes. This is because the fusion of helium nuclei into carbon is a highly energy-intensive reaction.

5. What techniques are used to study carbon nucleosynthesis?

Scientists use various techniques to study carbon nucleosynthesis, including observational data from telescopes, laboratory experiments, and computer simulations. These methods allow scientists to understand the physical processes involved in carbon nucleosynthesis and its role in the evolution of the universe.