Cardinality of continuous real functions

In summary, we need to find an injective function that maps a continuous function to a real number by going through rational numbers, in order to show that the cardinality of $C(\mathbb{R}, \mathbb{R})$ is not equinumerous with the set $\mathbb{R}^{\mathbb{R}}$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Wave)

Find the cardinal number of $C(\mathbb{R}, \mathbb{R})$ of the continuous real functions of a real variable and show that $C(\mathbb{R}, \mathbb{R})$ is not equinumerous with the set $\mathbb{R}^{\mathbb{R}}$ of all the real functions of a real variable. That's what I have tried: We have the following: Obvioulsy it holds that $Card(\mathbb{R}) \leq Card(C(\mathbb{R}, \mathbb{R})) \rightarrow c \leq Card(C(\mathbb{R}, \mathbb{R})) $. We will show that $Card(C(\mathbb{R}, \mathbb{R})) \leq c$.

In order to do this we pick the function $h: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}$ so that $\langle n,m \rangle \mapsto \sum_{n=0}^k \frac{2n}{3^m}, k \in \mathbb{R}$ and want to show that it is bijective.It doesn't seem right to me... (Tmi) But it is entirely wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start by fixing an obvious mistake. You wrote one thing in your post, and then you wrote the opposite thing. Perhaps you redefined a notation. Unless this is fixed, I don't see the reason to go forward.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Let's start by fixing an obvious mistake. You wrote one thing in your post, and then you wrote the opposite thing. Perhaps you redefined a notation. Unless this is fixed, I don't see the reason to go forward.

I am sorry... I fixed the mistake... (Tmi)

evinda said:
That's what I have tried: We have the following:
Ah, so now you have tried nothing? Well, this violates rule 11 of the forum, and if this happens again, you will be issued a formal infraction and banned forever. Kidding. (Smile)
evinda said:
Obvioulsy it holds that $Card(\mathbb{R}) \leq Card(C(\mathbb{R}, \mathbb{R}))$
Yes, it is obvious, but still: why?

evinda said:
We will show that $Card(C(\mathbb{R}, \mathbb{R})) \leq c$.

In order to do this we pick the function $h: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{R}$ so that $\langle n,m \rangle \mapsto \sum_{n=0}^k \frac{2n}{3^m}, k \in \mathbb{R}$ and want to show that it is bijective.
I am not familiar with this approach. Usually you show first that a continuous function is completely determined by its values in rational points.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Ah, so now you have tried nothing? Well, this violates rule 11 of the forum, and if this happens again, you will be issued a formal infraction and banned forever.

(Sweating)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Kidding. (Smile)

(Whew) (Tongueout)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes, it is obvious, but still: why?

Could we consider for example a function $f: \mathbb{R} \to C(\mathbb{R}, \mathbb{R})$ such that $x \mapsto e^{x+y}$ where $y \in \mathbb{R}$ and show that it is injective?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I am not familiar with this approach. Usually you show first that a continuous function is completely determined by its values in rational points.
So do we have to find an injective function that maps a continuous function to a real number? (Thinking)

That what I wrote doesn't make sense, right? (Tmi)

evinda said:
Could we consider for example a function $f: \mathbb{R} \to C(\mathbb{R}, \mathbb{R})$ such that $x \mapsto e^{x+y}$ where $y \in \mathbb{R}$ and show that it is injective?
That works. An even simpler example is a mapping $y\mapsto f(x)=y$ that returns constant functions.

evinda said:
So do we have to find an injective function that maps a continuous function to a real number?
Well, yes, but you need to go through rational numbers. Once you prove that a continuous function is determined by its values in rational points, you need to show that $\Bbb R^{\Bbb Q}\sim\Bbb R$.

Related to Cardinality of continuous real functions

1. What is the definition of cardinality in mathematics?

Cardinality is a concept in mathematics that refers to the number of elements in a set. It is a way to measure the size or magnitude of a set.

2. How is the cardinality of continuous real functions defined?

The cardinality of continuous real functions is defined as the number of continuous real functions that exist. It is also known as the cardinality of the set of all continuous real functions.

3. Is the cardinality of continuous real functions countable or uncountable?

The cardinality of continuous real functions is uncountable. This means that there are too many continuous real functions to be counted, even though they are all part of the same set.

4. Can the cardinality of continuous real functions be compared to the cardinality of natural numbers?

No, the cardinality of continuous real functions is greater than the cardinality of natural numbers. This is because there are an infinite number of continuous real functions, while there are only a countably infinite number of natural numbers.

5. How does the cardinality of continuous real functions relate to the concept of infinity?

The cardinality of continuous real functions is one type of infinity, known as uncountable infinity. It is a larger type of infinity than the countably infinite cardinality of natural numbers, but smaller than the cardinality of all real numbers, which is known as the continuum.