Cardinality of the set of all functions

In summary, the cardinality of the set of all functions from N to {1,2} is equal to the cardinality of 2^{\mathbb{N}}.
ribbon

Homework Statement

What is the cardinality of the set of all functions from N to {1,2}?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the cardinality of the set of all functions coincides with the respective power set (I think) so 2^n where n is the size of the set. The cardinality of N is aleph-nought, and its power set, 2^aleph nought.

However what limitations does mapping to a finite (2 elements) set here expose us to?

Physics news on Phys.org
ribbon said:

Homework Statement

What is the cardinality of the set of all functions from N to {1,2}?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the cardinality of the set of all functions coincides with the respective power set (I think) so 2^n where n is the size of the set. The cardinality of N is aleph-nought, and its power set, 2^aleph nought.

However what limitations does mapping to a finite (2 elements) set here expose us to?

This would be one of those circumstances in which it is essential to use the formal definition of a function [itex]F[/itex] from [itex]A[/itex] to [itex]B[/itex] as being a subset of [itex]A \times B[/itex] with the property that for each [itex]a \in A[/itex] there is exactly one [itex]b \in B[/itex] such that [itex](a,b) \in F[/itex].

Thus there are at most as many functions from [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] to [itex]\{1,2\}[/itex] as there are subsets of [itex]\mathbb{N} \times \{1,2\}[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
This would be one of those circumstances in which it is essential to use the formal definition of a function [itex]F[/itex] from [itex]A[/itex] to [itex]B[/itex] as being a subset of [itex]A \times B[/itex] with the property that for each [itex]a \in A[/itex] there is exactly one [itex]b \in B[/itex] such that [itex](a,b) \in F[/itex].

Thus there are at most as many functions from [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] to [itex]\{1,2\}[/itex] as there are subsets of [itex]\mathbb{N} \times \{1,2\}[/itex].

Interesting well I know the set N has 2^(aleph nought) subsets and the set S = {1, 2} has 2^2 subsets, so am I correct when I say:

2^(aleph nought) x 2^2 = 2^(aleph nought + 2)?

Also I am trying to more so understand your explanation of the equivalence of a function from A to B to a subset AxB? Is there anyway you could dumb that down a little more for me? Much appreciated!

ribbon said:
Also I am trying to more so understand your explanation of the equivalence of a function from A to B to a subset AxB? Is there anyway you could dumb that down a little more for me? Much appreciated!
Any function f:A→B defines a subset S of AxB consisting of the pairs {(a, f(a)):a in A}. S has the property that given a in A there exists a unique (a, b) in S.
Conversely, any subset of AxB with this property defines a function A→B, and two different such sets will define two different functions.

Likes 1 person
ribbon said:
Interesting well I know the set N has 2^(aleph nought) subsets and the set S = {1, 2} has 2^2 subsets, so am I correct when I say:

2^(aleph nought) x 2^2 = 2^(aleph nought + 2)?

All one can say is that the number of such functions is at most the cardinality of [itex]2^{\mathbb{N} \times \{1,2\}}[/itex], which is uncountable by the diagonalization argument. But that is consistent with the possibility that the collection of those subsets of [itex]\mathbb{N} \times \{1,2\}[/itex] which satisfy the condition to be a function is countable.

But there exists a bijection [itex]2^\mathbb{N} \to \{f : \mathbb{N} \to \{1,2\}\}[/itex], so the number of such functions is exactly the cardinality of [itex]2^{\mathbb{N}}[/itex]. (To find the bijection, consider the subset of [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] on which a function takes the value 1.)

Related to Cardinality of the set of all functions

What is the definition of the cardinality of the set of all functions?

The cardinality of the set of all functions is the number of elements or functions within the set. It is a measure of the size or infinity of the set.

Is the cardinality of the set of all functions countable or uncountable?

The cardinality of the set of all functions is uncountable, meaning there is no way to assign a unique natural number to each function in the set.

How does the cardinality of the set of all functions compare to the cardinality of the set of real numbers?

The cardinality of the set of all functions is larger than the cardinality of the set of real numbers. This is because the set of all functions contains all possible combinations and variations of real numbers.

Are there any infinite sets with a smaller cardinality than the set of all functions?

Yes, there are infinite sets with smaller cardinalities than the set of all functions. For example, the set of natural numbers has a smaller cardinality than the set of all functions.

Can the cardinality of the set of all functions be calculated or determined?

No, the cardinality of the set of all functions cannot be calculated or determined. It is an uncountable infinity, meaning it is impossible to assign a specific number to represent its size.