Cardinality using equivalences

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the same cardinality between [0,1) and (0,1] by defining a function and checking injectivity/surjectivity, and [0,1] and (0,1) by defining a function and showing it has an inverse. The individual now has to prove the same cardinality between (0,1] and [0,1], and asks for alternative methods, but it is concluded that using equivalence relations is not feasible.
SMA_01
I proved that [0,1) has the same cardinality as (0,1], by defining a function and then checking injectivity/surjectivity.
I proved [0,1] has the same cardinality as (0,1), by defining a function and showing it has an inverse.
I now have to prove that (0,1] has the same cardinality as [0,1], and I can use any of the equivalences established above.

What method should I use to do this?

Edit: I know how to prove it using previous methods (defining a function and proving bijection), I just want to know if this can be done another way- using equivalence relations maybe?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SMA_01 said:
I proved that [0,1) has the same cardinality as (0,1], by defining a function and then checking injectivity/surjectivity.
I proved [0,1] has the same cardinality as (0,1), by defining a function and showing it has an inverse.
I now have to prove that (0,1] has the same cardinality as [0,1], and I can use any of the equivalences established above.

What method should I use to do this?

Edit: I know how to prove it using previous methods (defining a function and proving bijection), I just want to know if this can be done another way- using equivalence relations maybe?

I don't see any way of using equivalence relations.

|A|=|B| ⇔ There exists a bijection f:A→B

*where |A| denotes the cardinality of A*

So maybe you could say something like [0,1)U(0,1]=[0,1]

Then appeal to a theorem about the union of uncountably infinite sets?

Hope this helps

Related to Cardinality using equivalences

1. What is cardinality?

Cardinality is a mathematical concept that refers to the number of elements in a set.

2. What is the purpose of using equivalences in cardinality?

Using equivalences allows us to compare the size or number of elements in different sets, and determine if they are equal or if one set is larger than the other.

3. How do we use equivalences to determine cardinality?

We use equivalences by finding a one-to-one correspondence, or a mapping between the elements of two sets. If every element in one set can be matched to a unique element in the other set, then the sets have the same cardinality. If there are unmatched elements, then one set has a larger cardinality than the other.

4. Can two sets have the same cardinality but different elements?

Yes, as long as there is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets, they can have the same cardinality. For example, the set of even numbers and the set of all integers have the same cardinality even though their elements are different.

5. How is cardinality related to counting?

Cardinality is essentially counting the number of elements in a set. It is a way to quantify the size of a set and compare it to other sets. In basic counting, we use the counting numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) to represent the cardinality of a set, but in more advanced mathematics, we use other tools such as sets and equivalences to determine cardinality.