Career options for space degrees

In summary, the speaker is currently studying Physics with Astronomy and Space Science in their final year but has decided not to pursue an Honors degree. They are unsure of what job opportunities are available to them after graduation and are seeking advice and ideas. They are concerned about their financial situation and the possibility of having to start from scratch in a different field. The speaker enjoys the astronomy aspect of their degree but is unsure if it can be turned into a career. They appreciate the reassurance and advice given by the other person in the conversation.
????
Hi all,

I'm currently studying Physics with Astronomy and Space Science in my final year. I've decided not to go for the Honors degree so I will be graduating with a general one in a few months. I'm sorry to admit that I didn't enjoy studying this (although I love the astronomy side of it alot!).

However I have no money to study anything else so I'm really confused as to what I can work as after I graduate. I tried looking up career options but they're always so vague. Can somebody just give me any ideas of what I can actually go for and get a job in? Even if its just short term things until I can figure out what I want to do with my life...
Its really getting me down.. =(

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can get jobs pretty much anywhere if you can convince the hiring manager you're qualified. The professionally-certified jobs like licensed engineering positions are probably out of play, but beyond that there isn't much stopping you.

? said:
Even if its just short term things until I can figure out what I want to do with my life...
Its really getting me down.. =(

Work in a bar? A shop? An office? If you're just looking for a distraction until you can figure things out then I would specifically suggest against looking for a career orientated job. That, and without the honours degree you won't be qualified for most graduate positions and if you didn't enjoy physics then surely the plan will be to mostly avoid those types of jobs (though obviously just having a degree opens up some non-physics options too, you would probably need time to consider these more carefully).

Why not just apply for any jobs you think you won't mind doing? Do you have any hobbies that you could potentially get a job through (e.g. work in a bowling alley)?

Try and find anything you can see yourself doing for a few months at least, that way you have time to properly think about your future, and re-evaluate your options. Life is not a race, there's no need to panic - don't worry that you aren't sure about your future, most of us have been in a similar boat at some point.

In terms of thinking about your future, if you are really starting from scratch then think about the following: were there any parts of your undergraduate experience that you enjoyed? What were they? Think about the priorities in your life. I find that all too often people get hung up on money and prestige rather than thinking about what makes them happy, particularly in the sciences where people that have always considered themselves smart feel some sort of moral obligation to go get a degree, PhD and try research (perhaps I am ranting). Is money your main concern? Work hours? What sort of things do you enjoy doing?

Thank you! That is really good advice :-)
and I do know you're right of course. I just worry mostly about the financial implications.
Basically I went into this because I was good at it (exactly like you said), but I've slowly realized my interests are in completely different fields altogther. Not even close to physics or math.. To do something I'm interested in would require starting from scratch so I guess I just want to be sure if I should do that.

Also I would definitely have to work for awhile to save up money and really think about what I wanted to do. So I guess I just don't want the last few years to be wasted and that's why I'd like to be able to put what I've learned to use in a job rather than going back to bars etc..
I dunno- I'm just a mess!
Thanks for the help and advice though. It was nice to have someone reassure me that its not as bad as I sometimes think..

As far as my degree goes; the only part I've really enjoyed has been the astronomy aspect of it. But I can't see that as ending up to be more than just a hobby in the future...

I dunno.. :-s
Thanks for the help though, I really appreciate it =)

for sharing your concerns about your career options with a space degree. First of all, it's important to remember that your degree does not limit you to just one career path. While it may have a focus on astronomy and space science, you have developed valuable skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis that are transferable to many industries and job roles.

Some potential career options for someone with a space degree could include working in the aerospace industry, either in research and development or in a technical role such as an engineer or technician. You could also consider roles in data analysis or remote sensing, as these skills are highly relevant in the space field. Other options could include teaching, science communication, or working for government agencies or organizations involved in space exploration and research.

If you are unsure about your long-term career goals, you could also consider short-term opportunities such as internships or entry-level positions to gain experience and explore different industries and roles. It's also worth reaching out to professionals in your field or attending career fairs to learn more about potential career paths and network with potential employers.

Remember, your degree is just the starting point and there are many opportunities available to you. It's important to stay open-minded and continue to develop your skills and knowledge in order to find a career path that is fulfilling and aligns with your interests and goals. Good luck in your job search!

FAQ: Career options for space degrees

1. What types of degrees are most useful for a career in space exploration?

The most useful degrees for a career in space exploration are typically in fields such as aerospace engineering, astrophysics, planetary science, and space systems engineering. These degrees provide a strong foundation in the technical and scientific knowledge needed for a career in space.

2. Are there any specific skills or qualifications that are required for a career in space?

In addition to a relevant degree, it is important to have strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. Good communication, teamwork, and adaptability are also essential qualities for working in the fast-paced and collaborative environment of space exploration.

3. What types of jobs are available for individuals with space degrees?

There are a variety of job opportunities for individuals with space degrees, including roles in spacecraft design and engineering, mission control, satellite operations, research and development, and data analysis. Other potential career paths include working for government space agencies, private space companies, or research institutions.

4. How can I gain practical experience in the space industry?

One way to gain practical experience in the space industry is through internships or co-op programs during your studies. These opportunities allow you to work on real-world projects and gain hands-on experience in the field. Additionally, networking and attending industry events can also help you make connections and learn more about the industry.

5. What salary can I expect with a degree in space-related field?

The salary for individuals with space degrees can vary depending on the specific job and industry, as well as your level of experience. However, careers in space are typically well-paying, with salaries ranging from $70,000 to over $100,000 per year. Additionally, there may be opportunities for bonuses and other benefits in the space industry.