Castiglianos Theorem: Elastic Body Displacements & Swing Analysis

• Thread starter umarfarooq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: Alright, so in summary, Castigliano's theorem states that for translational and rotational displacements of an elastic body, the terms are: dV=dU/dL, d(int(M^2/(2*E*I)*r*dTheta,Pi->0)/dP, and dM(theta).
umarfarooq

Homework Statement

a) State Castiglianos theorem for translational and rotational displacements of an elastic body, stating precisely the meanings of the terms.

b) A swing in a childrens play area is constrcuted from a steel tube bent into a quarter circle of radius R. One end is rigidly fixed to the ground with the tangent to the circle vertical, and the swing attached to the other end. Assuming that the beam has a section constant EI, derive experssions for the vertical and horizontal displacements of the swing when a downwards load P is applied to it.

Homework Equations

dV=dU/dL=d(int(M^2/(2*E*I)*r*dTheta,Pi->0)/dP

The Attempt at a Solution

sorry but I am completely baffled

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you stuck??

You need to show your work, may i recommend to use your moment equation in function of the angle the radius makes with the vertical.

okay, i think my answer is wrong but this is what I've got.
the moment is M(theta) is PRCos(theta) + F(R-RSin(theta)) where f is ficticious i know so do i disregard that.

Therefore M^2(theta) = R^2(P^2Cos^2(theta) + F^2 - F^2Sin^2(Theta).

Therefore i use that in the formula d(int(M^2/(2*E*I)*r*dTheta,Pi->0)/dP
I use the trig identities for Cos^2(theta) and Sin^2(theta) and integrate. If i ignore the ficticous force F the value of the integral is P^2(Pi/2)

This gives me a deflection of (P^2*Pi*R^3)/(4*E*I)
Is this correct
Would appreciate it alot, Thanks

umarfarooq said:
okay, i think my answer is wrong but this is what I've got.
the moment is M(theta) is PRCos(theta) + F(R-RSin(theta)) where f is ficticious i know so do i disregard that.

Therefore M^2(theta) = R^2(P^2Cos^2(theta) + F^2 - F^2Sin^2(Theta).

Therefore i use that in the formula d(int(M^2/(2*E*I)*r*dTheta,Pi->0)/dP
I use the trig identities for Cos^2(theta) and Sin^2(theta) and integrate. If i ignore the ficticous force F the value of the integral is P^2(Pi/2)

This gives me a deflection of (P^2*Pi*R^3)/(4*E*I)
Is this correct
Would appreciate it alot, Thanks

You need to read castigliano's theorem again, in this case the fictitious force is equal to the applied load, unless the applied load is not at the free end, if that's the case you must specify where it is, so we can actually help out!

Last edited:

FAQ: Castiglianos Theorem: Elastic Body Displacements & Swing Analysis

1. What is Castigliano's Theorem?

Castigliano's Theorem is a method used to calculate the deflections and rotations of an elastic body under a set of applied loads. It is based on the principle of virtual work and is commonly used in structural engineering and mechanics.

2. How is Castigliano's Theorem applied in elastic body displacements?

Castigliano's Theorem is applied by calculating the partial derivative of the strain energy function with respect to the applied load. This results in a set of equations that can be solved to determine the deflections and rotations at any point on the elastic body.

3. What is the significance of Castigliano's Theorem in swing analysis?

In swing analysis, Castigliano's Theorem is used to calculate the deflections and rotations of a golf club or other sports equipment during a swing. This can help in understanding the dynamics of the swing and making adjustments to improve performance.

4. Are there any limitations to Castigliano's Theorem?

Castigliano's Theorem assumes that the elastic body is linearly elastic, meaning that the relationship between stress and strain is constant. It also only applies to small deformations, so it may not be accurate for larger deflections or rotations.

5. How does Castigliano's Theorem compare to other methods of calculating displacements in elastic bodies?

Compared to other methods, such as the direct stiffness method or the finite element method, Castigliano's Theorem is relatively simple and straightforward. However, it may not be as accurate for more complex or nonlinear systems. It is best used for quick and approximate calculations in simpler systems.