Cause of upper body sudden parasthesia

• Medical
  • Thread starter CrimpJiggler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Cause
In summary, this person is experiencing a gradual build-up of pins and needles in their face, neck, and upper torso. This happens when they are on dexedrine, which is a medication prescribed for ADHD. The only way to stop it is to get up and walk around.
CrimpJiggler
I'm going to see a GP in a few days but in the meantime I want to get an idea of what could be causing this worrying symptom. This has happened 3 times so far, I'm sitting on the bus and pins and needles slowly start developing in my face. It is very gradual, I feel it building up for at least 30 minutes before it starts getting worrying. It just keeps building up and spreads all over my head and starts spreading to my neck and upper torso. The only way to make it stop is to get up and walk around. 3 times this has happened and 3 times I got up and walked around and it quickly wore away. I am prescribed dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD and all 3 times this has happened to me, I was on dexedrine. Also, all 3 times this happened, I was on the bus. In fact, some occasional mild tingling in the head is a normal side effect of this drug for me but what happened today on the bus was no mild tingling, it was a gradual buildup of parasthesia that started in my face and spread all over my head, then neck, then upper torso. I took 2 buses today and it happened twice. First time it got very extreme so I got off a couple of stops early then walked to my next bus stop. It wore off while I was walking. Then a good 20-30 minutes into my next bus ride it started again. A strange side effect I noticed is that I felt a lot of pressure on my nose. I broke my nose years ago and never bothered to get it straightened or looked at by a doctor. Can anyone give me an idea of what might be causing this intense parasthesia?

NOTE: I just checked my blood pressure with a home BP monitor and here's what it says: Sys = 120, Dia = 84, Pulse = 100 beats/min. All that looks fairly normal to me.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org

Related to Cause of upper body sudden parasthesia

1. What are the common causes of upper body sudden parasthesia?

There are several potential causes of upper body sudden parasthesia, including nerve damage, compression of nerves, vitamin deficiencies, circulatory issues, and autoimmune disorders.

2. How is upper body sudden parasthesia diagnosed?

The first step in diagnosing upper body sudden parasthesia is a physical exam and medical history evaluation. This may be followed by imaging tests, nerve conduction studies, blood tests, and other diagnostic procedures.

3. Can stress or anxiety cause upper body sudden parasthesia?

Yes, stress and anxiety can potentially trigger or worsen upper body sudden parasthesia. This is because these conditions can affect nerve function and blood flow, leading to tingling or numbness in the upper body.

4. How is upper body sudden parasthesia treated?

Treatment for upper body sudden parasthesia depends on the underlying cause. It may include medications, physical therapy, vitamin supplements, lifestyle changes, and in some cases, surgery.

5. Is upper body sudden parasthesia a symptom of a serious condition?

Upper body sudden parasthesia can be a symptom of a serious condition, such as multiple sclerosis, diabetes, or a spinal cord injury. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience persistent or recurring symptoms.