CDF of a normal vector is there a closed form?

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of at least one of the components of a vector X being greater than a certain value. The vector X has a length of n and each component is normally distributed with mean 0 and variance 1, and is independent of the other components. The probability can be calculated using a Chi-Square distribution with 3 degrees of freedom, and the conditional probabilities can be reduced using probability axioms.
dabeth
Suppose a vector X of length n, where each component of X is normally distributed with mean 0 and variance 1, and independent of the other components. I want to know the probability that at least one of X_1>2, X_2>2.5, X_3>1.9, etc. happens (inclusive), i.e. the probability that the vector's individual values are all greater than a vector with some arbitrary values. In the above case, I'd be looking for the probability that the individual components of X are greater than [2, 2.5, 1.9, ... ]. To me this looks like a CDF, but a CDF of n independently distributed random variables. Does this have a closed form? If not, is there a manageable way to approximate it? Would it have a sigmoid shape (i.e. concave where all components are positive in n-space)?

Actually, I think the vector notation confuses things. So basically, I'm just asking about the "CDF" of a bunch of independent random variables that all are distributed standard normal.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you put B_1 = 1 if X_1>2 or 0 otherwise, etc, you have a collection of Bernoulli random variables with parameters p_1=Prob[X_1>2] etc, so the probability that at least one is 1 is 1-(1-p_1)*...*(1-p_n).

dabeth said:
Suppose a vector X of length n, where each component of X is normally distributed with mean 0 and variance 1, and independent of the other components. I want to know the probability that at least one of X_1>2, X_2>2.5, X_3>1.9, etc. happens (inclusive), i.e. the probability that the vector's individual values are all greater than a vector with some arbitrary values. In the above case, I'd be looking for the probability that the individual components of X are greater than [2, 2.5, 1.9, ... ]. To me this looks like a CDF, but a CDF of n independently distributed random variables. Does this have a closed form? If not, is there a manageable way to approximate it? Would it have a sigmoid shape (i.e. concave where all components are positive in n-space)?

Actually, I think the vector notation confuses things. So basically, I'm just asking about the "CDF" of a bunch of independent random variables that all are distributed standard normal.

Thanks.

Hello dabeth and welcome to the forums.

In terms of length, I'll assume three dimensions in which L^2 = (X1)^2 + (X2)^2 + (X3)^2 and L^2 = N^2 for some given N.

In terms of the random variable L^2, assuming X1, X2, X3 are distributed N(0,1), then L^2 has a Chi-Square distribution with 3 degrees of freedom (This is the definition of a chi-square distribution). In this case it is better to deal with the distribution of the square of the length rather than the length itself, because you have a known distribution that you can use. You can use to get a distribution for the length of your vector for some given range of the length.

You can't just get the probability of the length being some fixed real number, because the chi-square distribution is continuous and the probability in this regard is zero. You have to make the interval have some width of some sort (Perhaps some multiple of an integer).

With regards to finding out whether |X1| > 2.5, this is going to be a conditional probability.

So let's say you choose that you are considering values between a and a+1 for length of the vector. What you will need to find out is P(|X1| > 2.5 | a^2 < X1^2 + X2^2 + X3^2 < (a+1)^2) which is going to be P(|X1| > 2.5 AND a^2 < Chi-Square(3) < (a+1)^2) / P(a^2 < Chi-Square(3) < (a+1)^2).

Since these are actual probabilities: you can calculate them to get a specific value for your real probability. (You will have to use either a computer or get some statistical tables that have detailed probabilities that are more extensive than your standard 0.01,0.025,0.05,0.1 etc) [I would use a computer to do it].

Just one note though: in terms of this we are dealing with the squared value of the component so you need to make sure you are calculating the right thing. In my example I used the absolute value |X1| because of the nature of the squaring effect.

In terms of more complicated probability calculations, you will need to use probability axioms to reduce whatever conditional probabilities you have into ones that you can measure.

Hopefully this has given you some hints to work from.

Last edited:
chiro said:
Hello dabeth and welcome to the forums.

In terms of length, I'll assume three dimensions in which L^2 = (X1)^2 + (X2)^2 + (X3)^2 and L^2 = N^2 for some given N.

I think he meant the MATLAB length, i.e. the number of elements in the vector.

I would like to clarify that there is no specific "CDF of a normal vector" as mentioned in the question. A CDF (cumulative distribution function) is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a random variable taking on a certain value or less. It is typically used to describe the distribution of a single random variable, not a vector of multiple random variables.

In this case, the vector X is composed of n independent normal random variables, each with mean 0 and variance 1. The probability of at least one of the components of X being greater than a specific value can be calculated using the complement of the joint probability of all components being less than or equal to that value. This can be expressed as:

P(at least one component > a) = 1 - P(X_1 ≤ a, X_2 ≤ a, ..., X_n ≤ a)

Since the components of X are independent, the joint probability can be calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities, which in this case is the CDF of a standard normal distribution. However, this does not have a closed form solution and would require numerical integration or approximation methods to calculate.

In terms of the shape of this "CDF," it would not have a sigmoid shape as it is not a single variable but a function of multiple variables. The shape would depend on the specific values chosen for a and the number of components in the vector X.

In conclusion, while there is no closed form solution for the probability of at least one component of a vector of independent normal random variables being greater than a certain value, it can be calculated using numerical methods and depends on the specific values chosen.

Related to CDF of a normal vector is there a closed form?

1. What is the CDF of a normal vector?

The CDF (cumulative distribution function) of a normal vector is a mathematical function that describes the probability that a random variable takes on a value less than or equal to a certain point. It is used to model continuous random variables that follow a normal (Gaussian) distribution.

2. What is a closed form solution?

A closed form solution is a mathematical expression that can be written in a finite number of standard mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. In the context of the CDF of a normal vector, a closed form solution would be an exact mathematical expression for the function, rather than an approximation or numerical solution.

3. Is there a closed form for the CDF of a normal vector?

No, there is no closed form solution for the CDF of a normal vector. The formula for the CDF of a normal distribution involves an integral, which does not have a closed form solution. However, there are several approximations and numerical methods that can be used to calculate the CDF to a desired level of accuracy.

4. Why is it difficult to find a closed form for the CDF of a normal vector?

The main reason it is difficult to find a closed form for the CDF of a normal vector is because it involves an integral that does not have an analytical solution. This means that the integral cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions, making it impossible to find a closed form solution.

5. What are some common approximations for the CDF of a normal vector?

Some common approximations for the CDF of a normal vector include the Taylor series expansion, the error function, and the Gauss-Hermite quadrature method. These methods provide numerical approximations for the CDF that can be used for practical purposes when a closed form solution is not available.