CDF of correlated mixed random variables

In summary: So the formula in the first message is not applicable.In summary, the conversation is discussing how to evaluate the inequality ##r(x-y) \leq g## where r, x, and y are nonnegative random variables of different distribution families and g is a constant nonnegative value. The formula ##Pr[r*x - r*y ≤ g] = Pr[r*x ≤ g + r*y] = ∫ Fr x(g + r*y)*fr*y(y) dy## is suggested for solving the problem, but it only works for independent variables and it is uncertain if it will work for correlated variables. There is also a discussion about the distribution of (x-y) and how it cannot be obtained in closed-form, leading to concerns about the applic
nikozm
Hello,

i m trying to evaluate the following:

r*x - r*y ≤ g, where r,x,y are nonnegative random variables of different distribution families and g is a constant nonnegative value.

Then, Pr[r*x - r*y ≤ g] = Pr[r*x ≤ g + r*y] = ∫ Fr x(g + r*y)*fr*y(y) dy, where F(.) and f(.) denote CDF and PDF, respectively.

The above formula works for independent variables. I m not sure if it works for correlated variables (the above are correlated due to the "r" variable in both "r*x" and "r*y").

Any help would be useful.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would express the inequality as ##r(x-y) \leq g## and find the distribution for x-y first, afterwards you just have two variables left.

However, the distribution of (x-y) is unreachable..Is there an other way to solve the problem ?

Thanks

nikozm said:
However, the distribution of (x-y) is unreachable..Is there an other way to solve the problem ?

Thanks

I think you'll get a better answer if you explain completely what facts are known about the random variables.

Ok, assume that x and y are independent and identically distributed variables following a PDF as given bellow:
fz(z)=Exp[-1/z]/(z^2), where z ε {x,y}

(Thus, they follow an inverse exponential distribution..)

I don't understand what is unreachable about the difference of two of those distributions.
I guess it is not a nice expression, but it is still something you can write down.

The difference of (x-y) when both of them (x and y) follow the above distribution (i.e., see fz(z)) can not be obtained in closed-form. Moreover, both x and y are i.i.d. and real positive random numbers.

What else...?

nikozm said:
where z ε {x,y}

What happens if x > y ?

Ok, assume that (x-y) ≥ 0, and thus r*(x-y) ≥ 0.

Thanks

nikozm said:
Ok, assume that (x-y) ≥ 0,

If that is assumed then x and y are not independent.

Related to CDF of correlated mixed random variables

1. What is the CDF of correlated mixed random variables?

The CDF (cumulative distribution function) of correlated mixed random variables is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a mixed random variable taking on a certain value or falling within a certain range. This function takes into account the correlation between the variables, which means that the values of one variable can affect the values of the other variable.

2. How is the CDF of correlated mixed random variables calculated?

The CDF of correlated mixed random variables can be calculated by integrating the joint probability density function of the variables over a specific range. This involves taking into account the correlation between the variables and can be a complex process, especially for multiple correlated variables.

3. What is the difference between independent and correlated mixed random variables?

Independent mixed random variables are those that are not affected by each other and have no correlation. This means that the CDF of independent mixed random variables can be calculated by simply multiplying the individual CDFs of each variable. In contrast, correlated mixed random variables have a relationship between them, and therefore their CDFs must take into account this correlation.

4. How can the CDF of correlated mixed random variables be used in practical applications?

The CDF of correlated mixed random variables has many practical applications. It can be used in risk analysis to model the correlation between different factors, such as the relationship between interest rates and stock prices. It can also be used in finance and insurance to calculate the probability of different outcomes based on the correlation between variables.

5. What are some limitations of using the CDF of correlated mixed random variables?

One limitation of using the CDF of correlated mixed random variables is that it can be difficult and time-consuming to calculate, especially for multiple correlated variables. Additionally, the accuracy of the CDF depends on the accuracy of the joint probability density function, which can be challenging to estimate in some cases. Finally, the CDF assumes a specific type of correlation between variables, which may not always accurately reflect real-world relationships.