Center of Mass Calculus 2 Integration

In summary, the conversation discusses a uniform semi circle with a radius of R and a diameter on the x axis. The center of mass is calculated using an integral in polar coordinates, but there is a discrepancy in the integral involving an additional y term and a sine function.
Dustinsfl
Uniform semi circle of radius R whose diameter is on the x axis.
Since it is uniform and symmetric on the x axis, x = 0.
For y, we have
$$
y_{cm} = \frac{\int y\sigma dA}{\frac{\pi R^2}{2}}
$$
In polar, $dA = rdrd\phi$.
So the integral becomes
$$
\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^R y^2\sin\phi drd\phi
$$
How did we end up with an additionally $y$ and a $\sin\phi$?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Uniform semi circle of radius R whose diameter is on the x axis.
Since it is uniform and symmetric on the x axis, x = 0.
For y, we have
$$
y_{cm} = \frac{\int y\sigma dA}{\frac{\pi R^2}{2}}
$$
In polar, $dA = rdrd\phi$.
So the integral becomes
$$
\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^R y^2\sin\phi drd\phi
$$
How did we end up with an additionally $y$ and a $\sin\phi$?

In this case,

\[\int y\,dA = \int_0^{\pi}\int_0^R (r\sin\phi)r\,dr\,d\phi =\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^Rr^2\sin\phi\,dr\,d\phi.\]

I don't see why you should have $y$ in your integral once you've converted everything to polar.

Chris L T521 said:
In this case,

\[\int y\,dA = \int_0^{\pi}\int_0^R (r\sin\phi)r\,dr\,d\phi =\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^Rr^2\sin\phi\,dr\,d\phi.\]

I don't see why you should have $y$ in your integral once you've converted everything to polar.

Maybe it was a typo. I was solving $y = r\sin\phi$ for r and couldn't get anything like that.

I came to the same conclusion as Chris L T521, so my vote is for typo too.

dwsmith said:
Maybe it was a typo. I was solving $y = r\sin\phi$ for r and couldn't get anything like that.

If they wanted it to have y terms in there, the integral would have to be $\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^R y^2\csc\phi\,dr\,d\phi$, not $\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^R y^2\sin\phi\,dr\,d\phi$.

Either way, there's a typo somewhere in their computation.

FAQ: Center of Mass Calculus 2 Integration

1. What is the definition of center of mass in calculus 2 integration?

The center of mass in calculus 2 integration is a point that represents the average position of the mass of an object. It is calculated by finding the weighted average of the position of each infinitesimal mass element within the object.

2. How is the center of mass calculated using integration in calculus 2?

To calculate the center of mass using integration in calculus 2, you first need to divide the object into infinitesimal mass elements. Then, you use the formula for center of mass, which is the weighted average of the position of each mass element. This is done by integrating the position function with respect to mass and dividing it by the total mass of the object.

3. What are the applications of center of mass in calculus 2 integration?

The concept of center of mass in calculus 2 integration has various applications in physics and engineering. It is used to find the balance point of objects, determine the stability of structures, and calculate the rotational motion of objects.

4. Can the center of mass be located outside of the object?

Yes, the center of mass can be located outside of the object. This occurs when the object has an irregular shape or when the mass is distributed unevenly within the object. In such cases, the center of mass may be located at a point outside of the physical boundaries of the object.

5. How does the center of mass change when the shape or mass distribution of an object is altered?

If the shape or mass distribution of an object is altered, the position of the center of mass will also change. This is because the location of the center of mass is dependent on the position and mass of each infinitesimal element within the object. Therefore, any changes to the shape or mass distribution will affect the overall position of the center of mass.

Back