Center of mass of a hemisphere

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of mass of a hollow hemisphere by using the position vector formula and setting up the problem in spherical coordinates. The correct answer is found to be -\frac{2R}{\pi}\hat{k} by considering the hemisphere as a series of semicircular line segments. However, there is a discrepancy in the units and it is determined that the assumption of breaking the sphere into line segments of constant density is flawed. The conversation concludes with a clarification about the shape of the line segments used in the calculation.
Idoubt
As part of a problem I need to find the center of mass of a hollow hemisphere.

I did it in the following way.

I considered the lower hemisphere ( around negative z axis )

First by definition, the position vector of the center of mass is obtained as

[itex]\vec{R}[/itex]= [itex]\frac{\int\vec{r}dm}{\int dm}[/itex]

Now I set up the problem in spherical coordinates

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/4741/spherev.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now, [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] = R[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]

where [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] = sin[itex]\theta[/itex]cos[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\hat{i}[/itex]+sin[itex]\theta[/itex]sin[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\hat{j}[/itex]+cos[itex]\theta[/itex][itex]\hat{k}[/itex]

And dm = [itex]\sigma[/itex]ds, where ds is the area element, and [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the mass per unit area.

ds = R2sin[itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\phi[/itex]

So then [itex]\vec{R}[/itex]= [itex]\frac{\int\vec{r}ds}{\int ds}[/itex]

i.e (2[itex]\pi[/itex]R2) [itex]\vec{R}[/itex]=[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]R3 (sin2[itex]\theta[/itex]cos[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\hat{i}[/itex]+sin2[itex]\theta[/itex]sin[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\hat{j}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{sin2\theta}{2}[/itex][itex]\hat{k}[/itex])d[itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\phi[/itex]

integrating [itex]\theta[/itex] from [itex]\pi[/itex]/2 to [itex]\pi[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] from 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex]

I get [itex]\vec{R}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{\hat{k}}{2}[/itex]

now I know this is not the right answer, the correct answer is -[itex]\frac{2\pi}{R}[/itex][itex]\hat{k}[/itex]

I know that the problem can be simplified with symmetry and done with much more ease than what I have attempted, but I'd like to know what is wrong with the way I formulated the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Idoubt said:
I get [itex]\vec{R}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{\hat{k}}{2}[/itex]
This is the correct answer.
now I know this is not the right answer, the correct answer is -[itex]\frac{2\pi}{R}[/itex][itex]\hat{k}[/itex]
This can't possible be the correct answer. The units aren't correct.

vela said:
This is the correct answer.

This can't possible be the correct answer. The units aren't correct.

sorry I made a mistake, the correct answer is- [itex]\frac{2R}{\pi}[/itex][itex]\hat{K}[/itex]

You can arrive at that answer with this argument, the sphere can be thought of to be made of a number of semicircular line segments of radius R ( or taking one and rotating it about the negative Z axis )

So the C.M of the sphere will be the same as one such segment, since the rotation occurs about an axis through the center of mass.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3853/semit.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

now, if I consider a horizontal strip, the CM of the strip is on the Z axis at a distance Rcos[itex]\theta[/itex] and the mass dm = 2[itex]\lambda[/itex]dl , where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the linear mass density, [itex]\lambda[/itex] gets canceled out and the cm is at

[itex]\vec{R}[/itex] =[itex]\frac{1}{\pi R}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]2R2cos[itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex]

dl = Rd[itex]\theta[/itex]

[itex]\theta[/itex] varies from 0 to [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

then [itex]\vec{R}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{2R}{\pi}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
The radius of the circular strip isn't R. It's only equal to R when theta is pi/2.

vela said:
The radius of the circular strip isn't R. It's only equal to R when theta is pi/2.

you misunderstand what i mean, I am taking a semicircle of radius R and rotating it , think of it like an electric drill with a leaf as a semicircle,

when it spins it will form a hemisphere right?

P.S

This is not what is happening in the integral, i just used the notion of rotation to infer that the CM of both the semicircle and hemisphere have to be the same

Your initial assumption that you can break the sphere up into a bunch of line segments of constant density is flawed. Think about breaking the sphere up into a finite number of wedges. The wedge is thicker at the top than at the bottom, so there's more mass near the top than at the bottom. This doesn't change as the number of wedges goes to infinity. So the line density should have a factor of sin θ.

vela said:
Your initial assumption that you can break the sphere up into a bunch of line segments of constant density is flawed. Think about breaking the sphere up into a finite number of wedges. The wedge is thicker at the top than at the bottom, so there's more mass near the top than at the bottom. This doesn't change as the number of wedges goes to infinity. So the line density should have a factor of sin θ.

I don't follow, since this is a hollow sphere, what do you mean by wedges?

Related to Center of mass of a hemisphere

What is the center of mass of a hemisphere?

The center of mass of a hemisphere is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the balance point of the object, where the weight is evenly distributed in all directions.

How is the center of mass of a hemisphere calculated?

The center of mass of a hemisphere can be calculated by finding the average of the x, y, and z coordinates of all the points that make up the hemisphere. This can be done using the formula: x̅ = ∫xρ(x) dV / m, where x̅ is the center of mass, ρ(x) is the density at a given point x, dV is the infinitesimal volume element, and m is the total mass of the object.

Why is the center of mass important for a hemisphere?

The center of mass is important for a hemisphere because it helps in understanding the stability and motion of the object. It also plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of the object under external forces.

How does the position of the center of mass affect the stability of a hemisphere?

The lower the center of mass of a hemisphere is, the more stable it is. This is because a lower center of mass means that the weight of the object is distributed closer to the base, making it less likely to topple over. On the other hand, a higher center of mass can make the object more prone to tipping over.

Can the center of mass of a hemisphere be outside the object?

No, the center of mass of a hemisphere will always be located within the object. This is because the center of mass is a point that represents the average location of the mass of the object, and the mass of the object cannot exist outside of itself.