Central forces in elliptic and parabolic orbits

In summary, a student is seeking help with two problems from the "Textbook on Spherical Astronomy" by W. Smart, specifically chapter five, problems 18 and 19 which involve Euler's theorem and Lambert's theorem. The student has been trying to solve these problems for over a week but has been unsuccessful. They have also mentioned that the .bmp image provided is difficult to read and have expressed frustration with the forum's lack of assistance. The problems involve calculating the time in an orbit between two points in a parabolic orbit and an elliptic orbit, using knowledge of parabolas and ellipses.
armin.hodaie
hi,can anyone solve this two problems??
these are from the "textbook on spherical astronomy" written by W.smart
chapter five,problem number 18 and 19,Euler's theorem and Lambert's theorem
thank you ;-)

Attachments

• New Picture.bmp
    260.4 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework? You should try to do the problem yourself first. We are only meant to help on homework. P.S. the .bmp image is a bit difficult to read.

yes,this is homework.i have been trying to solve this two question for more than a week,but i can't solve it ;-(

nobody?really?

You haven't tried the questions yourself yet, so it is hard to give help. Also, I can't read the bmp image. And I'm guessing that's why there haven't been other replies yet.

dear BruceW,
i have been trying for more than a week,but i can't solve them,so don't tell me that i haven't tried !
these are not simple problems :D
bmp files are readible,but i will write down questions right now !

1.if r and r1 are the radii vectors of two points C and C1 in a parabolic orbit and if k is the distance C-C1.prove that the time in the orbit between C and C1 is:

(T0/12pi)[((r+r1+k)/a)^(3/2)-((r+r1-k)/a)^(3/2)]
where T0 is the length of the sidereal year and 'a' is the semi-major axis of the Earth's orbit

2.if r and r1 are the radii vectors of two points C and C1 in a elliptic orbit and if k is the distance C-C1.'t' the time required by the planet to move from C to C1 and T the orbital period,prove that:

(2pi*t/T)=H-sin(H)-(H1-sin(H1))

where sin(H/2)=(1/2)((r+r1+k)/a)^(1/2)
sin(H1/2)=(1/2)((r+r1-k)/a)^(1/2)

the bmp is not completely readable, but thanks for writing it out, I know what it means now.

Maybe you have tried, but you haven't written anything on this thread. You've just asked for someone to solve them for you. The idea of this forum is that you post your working and/or say where you are stuck, then people try to help.

I know it is a pain to write all your working here, but otherwise, I don't know how to help.

The general idea is to use your knowledge of parabola and ellipses to show why the theorems must be true.

The first question is weird because it talks about a parabolic orbit and mentions the Earth's orbit, which is definitely not parabolic.

i won't write my workings here,and i think there is no one to help me.this forum is really weak,bye4ever

byebye

Related to Central forces in elliptic and parabolic orbits

1. What is a central force in elliptic and parabolic orbits?

A central force is a type of force that acts between two objects, where the force is always directed towards a fixed point, known as the center of force. In elliptic and parabolic orbits, the center of force is typically the focus of the ellipse or parabola, respectively.

2. What causes an object to follow an elliptic or parabolic orbit?

An object follows an elliptic or parabolic orbit due to the influence of a central force, which is typically caused by the gravitational force between two objects. The shape of the orbit depends on the strength and direction of the force, as well as the initial velocity of the object.

3. What are the key differences between elliptic and parabolic orbits?

Elliptic orbits are closed and periodic, meaning that the object will return to its starting point after a certain amount of time. Parabolic orbits are open and non-periodic, meaning that the object will not return to its starting point. Additionally, the eccentricity of an elliptic orbit is always less than 1, while the eccentricity of a parabolic orbit is exactly 1.

4. How do we calculate the period of an object in an elliptic or parabolic orbit?

The period of an object in an elliptic or parabolic orbit can be calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit. For a parabolic orbit, the semi-major axis is infinite, resulting in an infinite orbital period.

5. Can a central force in an elliptic or parabolic orbit change over time?

Yes, a central force in an elliptic or parabolic orbit can change over time. This can be due to the influence of other forces, such as the gravitational pull of other objects, or due to changes in the distance between the two objects. These changes can cause the shape and/or period of the orbit to change as well.