Centre of Mass Help: Finding x and y Coordinates of a Parallelogram Lamina

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of mass of a uniform lamina in the shape of a parallelogram, first by folding the triangles on the ends and then by pivoting the body at a specific point. The conversation also includes a discussion on finding the tangent of an angle and the magnitude of a couple in this scenario. Finally, the conversation poses a new problem involving finding the center of mass of a semicircular plate mounted over a rectangle.
JJB11
A uniform lamina ABCD is in the shape of a parallelogram and its mass per unit area is u. Axes Ox, Oy are chosen, with O the point on AB such that AO = 2/3AB. Points A, B, C and D
have coordinates (-2a, O), (a, O), (2a, b) and (-a, b) respectively. Find the x and y coordinates of the centre of mass of ABCD.

(I have done this, it is (0,b/2)).

Triangles ASD and BCT (right angled triangles at each end of the parallelogram) are folded over SD (stright line from D to x-axis) and BT (straight line from B to intersection with CD) respectively so that they lie flat on the rectangular region SBTD. Find the x and y coordinates of the centre of mass of the newly formed body.

(Same answer as previous one).

This body is now pivoted freely at the point P (3a/4, b/3) and is in equilibrium with its plane vertical.

(a) Find the tangent of the angle between the line BT and the vertical.

(b) Find also the magnitude of the couple that must be applied to the body for it to rest in equilibrium with the edge DT vertical.

Help! :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you have the coordinates of the points labelled correctly? It looks like being BADC not ABCD. And placing the Origin between 2 points yet without causing one of those points to have a negative ordinate has me vexed. :(

I'll be interested to see how this is solved.

Last edited:
Sorry, that was silly of me: A and D are actually (-2a,0) and (-a,b).

JJB11 said:
This body is now pivoted freely at the point P (3a/4, b/3) and is in equilibrium with its plane vertical.
"Its plane vertical" means that it is hanging straight up and down. Like, it is on the wall.

Draw a large diagram of the body on cardboard, and cut it out. Now, poke a hole in it at point P and hang the shape on the wall by pushing a pin through this hole. The body hangs with its C of M directly beneath this pivot point P, as do all hanging bodies. :smile:

(a) Find the tangent of the angle between the line BT and the vertical.
You have enough information on the co-ordinates of P and B to allow you to calculate the angle that line BT makes with a vertical line, when the body is hanging thus.

What do the points of B and T end up being? I've got T as the old centre of gravity (0,b/2) but I'm not sure about B at all...

I didn't actually rotate the body. I drew a line from P through the C of M and said that's going to be the "vertical" so what is the angle between that line and BT? I think that's a valid approach.

Ah, that's a good idea. You then get the gradient of the tangent between the centre of gravity and the pivot point and because m=tan theta then tan theta = (9a/2b).

I've also got the answer to part (b). If DT is vertical then it is parallel to the weight which lies along line y=b/2. Therefore the torque that provides this shift is (weight of parallelogram)*(distance from pivot) = 3ab*(mass per unit area)*g*b/6 which gives a couple (same magnitude but acting in opposite turning direction) of ab^2(mass per unit area)g/2.

That's about what I make it.

i need answer for this problem

a semicircular plate is mounted over a rectangle of side 2a cm and other side of a cm. Taking
origin at one corner of rectangle calculate the centre of mass of the system?

hero.rohan said:
i need answer for this problem

a semicircular plate is mounted over a rectangle of side 2a cm and other side of a cm. Taking
origin at one corner of rectangle calculate the centre of mass of the system?
How will you start to solve this?

Related to Centre of Mass Help: Finding x and y Coordinates of a Parallelogram Lamina

What is the Centre of Mass?

The Centre of Mass is a point in an object or system where the entire mass of the object or system can be considered to be concentrated. It is also known as the center of gravity.

Why is the Centre of Mass important?

Understanding the Centre of Mass is important in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It helps predict how objects will behave when in motion, and is crucial in maintaining stability and balance in structures.

How is the Centre of Mass calculated?

The Centre of Mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of all the individual masses in an object or system. This is typically done by using the formula: xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where m represents mass and x represents the distance from a chosen reference point.

What factors affect the Centre of Mass?

The Centre of Mass is affected by the distribution of mass within an object or system. Factors such as the shape, size, and density of an object can all impact its Centre of Mass. Additionally, external forces such as gravity can also affect the Centre of Mass.

How is the Centre of Mass used in real life?

The concept of Centre of Mass is used in many practical applications, such as designing stable structures, predicting the trajectory of objects in motion, and understanding the behavior of fluids. It is also used in sports, such as diving and figure skating, to achieve balance and control in movements.