Centre of mass of a rod with varying density

In summary, a solid metal rod with dimensions 5 x 2 x 1 and a density function of ρ(x) = (3x2 +10x) / 25 was placed with one corner at the origin, such that 0≤x≤5, 0≤y≤2 and 0≤z≤1. The total mass of the rod was found to be 20 units. However, there was a discrepancy in finding the x-coordinate of the centre of mass, with the calculated value being 1.77 instead of the expected value, which should be to the right of the center of the rod. This was due to an error in the integration of the numerator, which
Barnes1995-5-2

Homework Statement

A solid metal rod with dimensions 5 x 2 x 1 is placed with one corner at the origin, such that 0≤x≤5, 0≤y≤2 and 0≤z≤1. The rods density is described by ρ(x) = (3x2 +10x) / 25
a) find the total mass of the rod
b) find the x-coordinate of the centre of mass of the rod.

Homework Equations

Total mass, M = ∫ dm = ∫ ρ dV
X coordinate of COM = (1/M) * ∫xdm = (1/M) * ∫xρ dx

The Attempt at a Solution

a) By substituting the density function into the Total mass integral and doing a triple integral over dxdydx, i get:
M = ∫∫∫ (3x2 +10x) / 25 dx dy dz = ∫∫ [(x3 +5x2) / 25] dy dz with limit of 5 and 0.
From there I continue and get an answer of M = 20 units
My problem arises in part b) when I do:
(1/M) * ∫xdm = (1/M) * ∫xρ dx = (1/M) * ∫ (3x3 +10x2) / 25 dx and use the limts of 5 and 0, i arrive at an X-coordinate for the centre of mass as 1.77. This doesn't make sense to me as surely with the stated denisty function, the mass if increasing as you progress from x=0, resulting in the COM being shifted towards the x=5 end?
Any help would be appreciated !

Physics news on Phys.org
Barnes1995-5-2 said:

Homework Statement

A solid metal rod with dimensions 5 x 2 x 1 is placed with one corner at the origin, such that 0≤x≤5, 0≤y≤2 and 0≤z≤1. The rods density is described by ρ(x) = (3x2 +10x) / 25
a) find the total mass of the rod
b) find the x-coordinate of the centre of mass of the rod.

Homework Equations

Total mass, M = ∫ dm = ∫ ρ dV
X coordinate of COM = (1/M) * ∫xdm = (1/M) * ∫xρ dx

The Attempt at a Solution

a) By substituting the density function into the Total mass integral and doing a triple integral over dxdydx, i get:
M = ∫∫∫ (3x2 +10x) / 25 dx dy dz = ∫∫ [(x3 +5x2) / 25] dy dz with limit of 5 and 0.
From there I continue and get an answer of M = 20 units
My problem arises in part b) when I do:
(1/M) * ∫xdm = (1/M) * ∫xρ dx = (1/M) * ∫ (3x3 +10x2) / 25 dx and use the limts of 5 and 0, i arrive at an X-coordinate for the centre of mass as 1.77. This doesn't make sense to me as surely with the stated denisty function, the mass if increasing as you progress from x=0, resulting in the COM being shifted towards the x=5 end?
Any help would be appreciated !
Hello Barnes1995-5-2. Welcome to PF !

Yes, you are correct to reason that the Center of Mass must lie to the right of the center of the bar.

You may have to show details of how you evaluated those integrals in order that we can give much help.

I disagree with your mass calculation.

Could you find the mass for 0≤x≤w and equate it to the mass from w≤x≤5?

SammyS said:
Hello Barnes1995-5-2. Welcome to PF !

Yes, you are correct to reason that the Center of Mass must lie to the right of the center of the bar.

You may have to show details of how you evaluated those integrals in order that we can give much help.

I disagree with your mass calculation.
This is how i did the mass integral

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,736
Barnes1995-5-2 said:
This is how i did the mass integral
That's fine.

How about integral in the numerator for the COM calculation?

In getting the COM, you forgot to integrate with respect to y. Your answer should be 2x as large.

Chet

Related to Centre of mass of a rod with varying density

What is the definition of centre of mass?

The centre of mass of an object is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated.

How is the centre of mass of a rod with varying density calculated?

The centre of mass of a rod with varying density can be calculated by dividing the total mass of the rod by the total length of the rod.

What factors affect the centre of mass of a rod with varying density?

The centre of mass of a rod with varying density is affected by the distribution of mass along the length of the rod and the shape of the rod.

Why is the centre of mass important?

The centre of mass is important because it is the point at which an object can be balanced and is used to calculate the stability and motion of an object.

How does the centre of mass change with different densities along the rod?

The centre of mass of a rod with varying density will shift towards the denser end of the rod, as the greater mass at that end pulls the centre of mass towards it.