Centre of Mass of carpenter's L square -

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates of the center of mass for a carpenter's square in the shape of an "L". The suggested technique is to divide the shape into two rectangles and use their respective centroids to calculate the overall centroid. The conversation also covers steps for finding the centroid and offers a helpful link for visualizing the concept.
wizzle

Homework Statement

A carpenter's square has the shape of an
"L," as shown at the right. Find the
coordinates of its center of mass, assuming
it to be made of uniform, material. (Hint:
divide the L-shape into two rectangles.)

Homework Equations

MaXa+MbXb/(Ma + Mb)

The Attempt at a Solution

I separated the L shape into two rectangles, with the upper part of the L being a rectangle of 14 cm x 4 cm, and the lower part of the L is a rectangle measuring 4 cm by 12 cm. I found the centre of mass of the upper rectangle to be (2,9) and of the lower rectangle to be (6,2). For the mass, since it's of uniform material, I used the area as its mass (not sure if that's right). The technique I tried was to first find the x-coordinate of the object's centre of mass:

(2x56)+(6x48) / (56+48) = 3.846 cm

For the y coordinate I used the y values of each rectangle:

(9 x 56)+(2x48) / (56+48) = 5.77 cm

So the centre of mass I got was (3.8 cm, 5.8 cm). Were the steps I used sensible?

Thanks a lot!
-Lauren

Attachments

• COM question.jpg
    COM question.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 4,643
Physics news on Phys.org
The x is correct, the y is wrong. You are calculating it with respect to the bottom of the L. Is the y-coordinate of the centroid of the upper rectrangle then equal to 9?

Note: you can check your answer by considering two different rectangles. One large one that covers the entire L, substracted by a smaller one that is enclosed within the legs.

Last edited:
Ahh...thank you. Since I separated the two at y=4 cm, then the upper rectangle is 14 cm high. Should I have put

(7x56)+(2x48) / (56+48) = 4.69 cm for the y coordinate? Thanks for your help!

The upper is indeed 14 cm high, and if considered alone, its centroid would be at y = 7 cm. However, since there is a horizontal leg element as well, and you place the coordinate system in the lower left corner of the L, the centroid of the upper retrangle moves up by 4 cm, which is the height of the lower leg. See this webpage for some illustrations.

Hi! Thanks a lot for attaching that link, it really helped. I think I've got it this time, since I'm using the right coordinates -
(11x56)+(2x48) / (56+48) = 6.85 cm
I appreciate your time srvs!

Pleasure. To double-check you could different rectangles as well. Haven't got a picture but if you consider a rectangle that spans from the most bottom-left corner of your L, and across the entire L then its dimensions are 18 by 12. The rectangle between the legs of the L is 14 by 12, so you could also say that with respect to the bottom of the larger rectangle, y = [ (14+4)/2 * (14+4 * 12) - (4 + 14/2) * 14 * (12 - 4) ] / [ (14+4 * 12) - 14 * (12 - 4) ] = 6.85 cm. So you consider instead the surface area and y coordinate of the large rectangle and substract from that the surface area and y coordinate of the smaller one.

Related to Centre of Mass of carpenter's L square -

1. What is the Centre of Mass of a carpenter's L square?

The Centre of Mass of a carpenter's L square is the point at which the entire weight of the tool can be considered to be concentrated. Essentially, it is the point at which the tool would balance if it were placed on a pivot.

2. How is the Centre of Mass of a carpenter's L square determined?

The Centre of Mass of a carpenter's L square can be determined by balancing the tool on a pivot or by using mathematical calculations based on the tool's shape and weight distribution.

3. Why is it important to know the Centre of Mass of a carpenter's L square?

Knowing the Centre of Mass of a carpenter's L square is important for understanding how the tool will behave and balance when in use. It can also help ensure that the tool is being held and used correctly to avoid strain or injury.

4. Can the Centre of Mass of a carpenter's L square change?

Yes, the Centre of Mass of a carpenter's L square can change if the tool is altered in any way, such as by adding or removing weight or changing its shape. It can also change depending on how the tool is being held and used.

5. Is the Centre of Mass of a carpenter's L square the same for all L squares?

No, the Centre of Mass of a carpenter's L square can vary depending on the size, weight, and shape of the specific tool. It can also vary if the tool is made from different materials or has been modified in any way.