Centrifugal Force & Friction: Solving the Challenge

• Thread starter gandharva_23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: In the accelerated frame, the only force that can provide the acceleration is the normal force, so the friction force must be zero.
gandharva_23
consider a funnel rotating about its axis with a constant angular speed w . A small particle remains at rest w.r.t. the wall of the funnel . If we solve the problem in particles reference frame we have a centrifugal force mw^2 r whose component will be tending to move the particle up the funnel's wall . Hence i can say that for certain values of w frictional force will be acting in the downward direction . Now i want to solve the problem in the groung frame . If i analyse the problem in ground frame there is no force that is tending to take the particle up the wall so friction force can never act down the wall ...

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of important points, the laws of physics don't depend on your frame of reference and centripetal force is tricky sometimes.

"laws of physics don't depend on your frame of reference "
thats what i want to ask ... in ground frame which force is trying to drag the particle up the plane ? How can i obtain a range of frictional force for which the particle remains in equilibrium w.r.t funnel by solving the problem in ground frame . we know that for larger values of w frictional force will be acting in the downward direction . If we are observing the particle in ground frame then which force is trying to drag the particle up the funnel if we are saying that friction is acting in down the funnel wall ?

Real forces--like friction--exist independent of reference frame. In the ground frame the particle is accelerating--and the only forces able to provide that acceleration are the normal force and friction. Hint: Consider vertical and horizontal force components; apply Newton's 2nd law.

In the accelerated frame the particle is at rest and, as you know, you must add a "fictitious" centrifugal force acting on the particle to produce equilibrium. (In an accelerated frame you must modify Newton's laws by adding such fictitious forces.)

Either way, you can solve for the range of friction force required.

FAQ: Centrifugal Force & Friction: Solving the Challenge

1. What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that acts on an object in a circular motion. It is not a real force, but rather a result of the inertia of the object trying to maintain its straight-line motion.

2. How is centrifugal force related to friction?

Centrifugal force and friction are related because as an object moves in a circular motion, centrifugal force pushes it away from the center, while friction acts in the opposite direction, trying to slow down or stop the object's motion.

3. How does centrifugal force affect the movement of objects?

Centrifugal force causes objects in circular motion to move away from the center of rotation. The stronger the centrifugal force, the greater the outward movement of the object. This can result in objects moving in a curved path or being flung outward.

4. How can we use centrifugal force and friction to solve challenges?

Centrifugal force and friction can be used to solve challenges by understanding and manipulating their effects. For example, in a roller coaster, engineers use centrifugal force to keep the riders in their seats during high-speed turns, while friction helps control the speed of the coaster.

5. What are some real-world applications of centrifugal force and friction?

Centrifugal force and friction have many real-world applications. They are used in transportation systems like cars and trains, amusement park rides, and even in tools like washing machines. They are also important in understanding the movement of celestial bodies in space.

Back