Centripetal Acceleration of rocket car

In summary, the conversation is about finding the acceleration of a rocket car moving on an elliptical track with given parameters. The suggested approach is to use the definition of curvature and the equation for centripetal acceleration. However, the equations become very messy and the speaker is unsure if they are on the right track. It is suggested to use implicit differentiation to simplify the equations. The speaker also notes that the acceleration of the car will not be constant due to its changing direction.
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

A rocket car is constrained to move on an elliptical track (semi-major axis [itex] a [/itex] and semi-minor axis [itex] b [/itex]). The car is moving at a constant speed [itex] v_0 [/itex]. Determine the acceleration of the car in [itex] \frac{m}{s^2} [/itex]. [itex] a = 4 \hspace{2 mm} km [/itex], [itex] b = 2 \hspace{2 mm} km [/itex], and [itex] v_0 = 360 \frac{km}{hr} [/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought for this problem was to try and find the value of 'R' using the definition of curvature: [itex] \kappa = \frac{1}{R} [/itex]. Using the definition of an ellipse: [itex] \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1 [/itex], I solved for 'y' and ended up with: [itex] y = b \sqrt{1- \frac{x^2}{a^2}}[/itex]. Then, I used the definition of curvature [itex] \kappa = \frac{\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}}{(1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2)^\frac{3}{2}} [/itex]. Then, I took the first and second derivative of my equation for an ellipse (I will not write them here because it gets very messy). Then, I substituted my second derivative into the equation for curvature. Finally, using the fact that [itex] \kappa = \frac{1}{R} [/itex], therefore [itex] R = \frac{1}{\kappa} [/itex]. So I substituted my equation for R (1 over kappa) into the equation for centripetal acceleration( [itex] a = \frac{v^2}{R} [/itex] and used the given [itex] v_0 = 360 \frac{km}{hr} [/itex]. However, as you can probably guess, this is extremely messy. Furthermore, I do not see how I am to get rid of the x and y in my equations (the answer is meant to be a numeric value). So I am certain I have done something wrong but I'm not sure what...

Physics news on Phys.org
What doe "R" represent? You have to say... is the idea to use the equation ##a=v^2/R##?
Note: the acceleration of the car won't be a constant since it's rate of change in direction varies but it's speed doesn't.

You might get neater expressions for the first and second derivatives if you use implicit differentiation.

Simon Bridge said:
What doe "R" represent? You have to say... is the idea to use the equation ##a=v^2/R##?
Note: the acceleration of the car won't be a constant since it's rate of change in direction varies but it's speed doesn't.
Sorry, I realize I wasn't very clear. The idea was to use the equation [itex] a = \frac{v^2}{R} [/itex].. I attempted to find R using the equation [itex] \kappa = \frac{1}{R} [/itex]. So I solved for R using the curvature equation and then plugged this value into the equation for centripetal acceleration but it is just so messy that I think I probably am not on the right track. I hope this clears things up...

gneill said:
You might get neater expressions for the first and second derivatives if you use implicit differentiation.
I hadn't thought about that but I'll certainly give it a shot, thanks :D

Simon Bridge said:
So in that case I am basically at the solution, I just need to clean things up algebraically I think. I have this bad habit where if my solution looks really messy I just assume I've done something wrong..

I can't tell, because you didn't answer the questions.

Simon Bridge said:
I can't tell, because you didn't answer the questions.
Which questions are you referring to? R is meant to represent radius of curvature, is there something wrong with how I've approached the problem?

FAQ: Centripetal Acceleration of rocket car

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that occurs when an object moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How does centripetal acceleration affect a rocket car?

Centripetal acceleration plays a crucial role in the movement of a rocket car, as it is responsible for keeping the car moving in a circular path. Without centripetal acceleration, the car would continue to move in a straight line and would not be able to successfully make turns or curves.

3. What factors affect the centripetal acceleration of a rocket car?

The main factors that affect the centripetal acceleration of a rocket car include the speed of the car, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the car. In general, the faster the car is moving, the larger the radius of the path, and the smaller the mass of the car, the greater the centripetal acceleration will be.

4. How can the centripetal acceleration of a rocket car be calculated?

The centripetal acceleration of a rocket car can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the car and r is the radius of the circular path. The velocity can be calculated using the formula v = d/t, where d is the distance traveled and t is the time taken. The radius can be measured using a measuring tool.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding centripetal acceleration in rocket cars?

Understanding centripetal acceleration in rocket cars has many real-world applications, such as in designing and testing race cars, roller coasters, and other amusement park rides. It is also important in the study of space travel, as it helps scientists understand the forces acting on spacecraft during orbital maneuvers. Additionally, knowledge of centripetal acceleration is important in the development of safer and more efficient transportation methods, such as self-driving cars.

Back