Centripetal and average acceleration

In summary: However, if the measurements are taken over one lap, then runner A will have a greater average acceleration because they reach the end first. In summary, runner A has a larger centripetal and average acceleration because they have to make a sharper turn, but both runners have the same change in velocity over one lap.
ViewtifulBeau
This question is all qualitative, but I don't know what centripetal and average acceleration is around a circle. The question is about two runners on a circular track, Runner A on the inside lane, Runner B on the outside lane. The runners have the same SPEED, I think that runner A has a larger centripetal and average acceleration because A has to make a sharper turn. But I think that A and B undergo the same change in velocity as the go around the whole track, even though A will reach the end first. Are my assumptions correct? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You assumptions are correct, yes.

runner A will have a greater accln because that runner is on a smaller radius, which, in effect, is the same as saying that he makes a sharper turn.

Average accln is the change in velocity divided by the time taken. They both have the same change in velocity, but runner B has taken longer, therefore has a smaller average accln.

If the measurements are taken over one lap though, then they both have the same average accln - it equals zero!

ViewtifulBeau said:
This question is all qualitative, but I don't know what centripetal and average acceleration is around a circle. The question is about two runners on a circular track, Runner A on the inside lane, Runner B on the outside lane. The runners have the same SPEED, I think that runner A has a larger centripetal and average acceleration because A has to make a sharper turn. But I think that A and B undergo the same change in velocity as the go around the whole track, even though A will reach the end first. Are my assumptions correct? Thanks

If two bodies are traveling around a common centre point and one is 'on the outside track' in relation to the other and they are both traveling at the same speed, the instantaneous centripetal acceleration will be greater for the body on the 'inside track' than the body on the 'outside track'. This can be easily seen because the outer body will lag behind the inner body if each have the same linear speed and so the inner body will have an equal change in velocity in less time than the outer body (or will have a larger change in velocity in the same time).
After one full revolution each, the average acceleration is zero for each body.

Related to Centripetal and average acceleration

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

2. What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and average acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is a specific type of acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path, while average acceleration is the overall change in velocity of an object over a given time period. Centripetal acceleration is always directed towards the center of the circle, while average acceleration can be in any direction.

3. How do you calculate centripetal acceleration?

To calculate centripetal acceleration, you need to know the velocity of the object and the radius of the circle it is moving in. You can then use the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius, to find the centripetal acceleration.

4. What is the units of centripetal and average acceleration?

Both centripetal acceleration and average acceleration have units of meters per second squared (m/s^2). This represents the change in velocity over time, with one unit of acceleration meaning the velocity changes by 1 meter per second every second.

5. How do centripetal and average acceleration affect an object's motion?

Centripetal acceleration keeps an object moving in a circular path, constantly changing the direction of its velocity. Average acceleration, on the other hand, can either speed up or slow down an object's motion in a straight line. Both types of acceleration play important roles in determining an object's overall motion and trajectory.