Centripetal force apparatus lab

In summary, the conversation involves discussing a centripetal force apparatus lab and pre-lab questions related to the economy force sensor and velocity in the experiment. The main question is about how to verify the result of using the 'Tare' button on the force sensor, and there is also a question about whether velocity is constant or not in the experiment. The summary includes an explanation of the 'Tare' button and the concept of setting the force to zero, as well as a possible answer to the velocity question.
MickeyGoh
Actually, I am going to do a centripetal force apparatus lab tmr morning.
Here I get some pre-lab questions.

In this lab, we are going to use economy force sensor (as I know there are 2 types, but it doesn't matter).
There is one question related to this sensor...
It says "The 'Tare' button on the economy force sensor is to set the force to be zero. How to verify the result? Hint: Observe the curve."

First question, what result? That the force is really zero? Is the voltage of the electric motor 0V indicating that the force is 0N?

Second question, what curve? I don't get the relation of it with voltage. Or is it not related to the voltage?Besides, in the experiment of Centripetal force vs Mass, there is a question asking whether the velocity is a constant or not. It seems an easy question and I should know...
But somehow I forget it. Is the velocity increasing with the radius and thus keeping v2/r a constant? Or both v and r are constants so that v2/r is already a constant?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
MickeyGoh said:
It says "The 'Tare' button on the economy force sensor is to set the force to be zero.

On the force sensors that I've used, the button simply sets the display to read zero, for whatever value the actual force is at that moment. You normally use it by first ensuring that there is no force being applied to the sensor (e.g. by letting a string tied to it go slack), then pressing the button.

As time passes, this "zero setting" tends to drift so that when no force is applied, the sensor reads a small nonzero value. Therefore I always make sure to reset the zero frequently during the course of the experiment.

But do you know what the question wants me to answer?

for the velocity one, i think i get it.
Since v = 2πr / t
so if r is unchanged, v will not be changed. i.e. kept constant

or simply to say
as centripetal force vs mass, v2/r is constant
as r is unchanged, v should be unchanged to keep v2/r constantbut i still don't get the 'tare' button question

Related to Centripetal force apparatus lab

1. What is a centripetal force apparatus lab?

A centripetal force apparatus lab is a scientific experiment that involves studying the relationship between centripetal force, mass, and velocity. It typically involves a rotating arm or disk where objects of different masses are attached and spun at various speeds to observe the effects of centripetal force.

2. Why is centripetal force important to study?

Centripetal force is an important concept in physics as it explains the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is crucial in understanding the motion of objects in circular orbits, such as planets around the sun, and in various engineering applications, such as roller coasters and centrifuges.

3. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some common examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the rotation of a car around a curve, the spinning of a washing machine, and the circular motion of roller coasters and Ferris wheels. Additionally, the Earth's rotation around the sun and the moon's orbit around the Earth are also examples of centripetal force.

4. How is centripetal force measured in a lab?

In a centripetal force apparatus lab, centripetal force can be measured using a force sensor that measures the force required to keep the object moving in a circular path. The formula for centripetal force (F=mv²/r) can also be used to calculate the force by varying the mass and velocity of the object and measuring the radius of the circular path.

5. What are some safety precautions to take during a centripetal force apparatus lab?

As with any scientific experiment, it is important to follow safety precautions while conducting a centripetal force apparatus lab. Some precautions to take include wearing protective gear, such as safety goggles and gloves, ensuring the apparatus is securely mounted, and keeping hands and other objects away from the rotating arm or disk. It is also important to follow the instructions provided by the lab manual and the teacher or supervisor.