Centripetal Force: Calculating Bank Angle for Plane Circling Airport

In summary, the problem involves finding the angle at which a plane should be banked in order to avoid slipping sideways while circling an airport. The solution involves using the equation arctan(v^2/rg) and plugging in the values for the plane's speed, radius, and gravitational acceleration. However, there was some confusion with unit conversions and calculations, resulting in incorrect answers. It is recommended to double check the calculations to find the correct angle.
pats6

Homework Statement

As your plane circles an airport, it moves in a horizontal circle of radius 2100m with a speed of 400km/h. If the lift of the airplane's wings is perpendicular to the wings, at what angle should the plane be banked so that it doesn't tend to slip sideways

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So what are your thoughts on how to solve it?

i do not know i tried to draw a diagram for the problem and when i worked the problem out i got a really small number

i know that i need to find the horizontal lift components but I am not sure how

If the plane is in equilibrium - flying in a circle - what do you know that must be balanced that will keep it from slipping sideways?

I should be able to use arctan(v^2/rg) to give me the angle
when i plug the numbers in i get arctan(400^2/9.8*2100)=90
and that is not the right

400km/h = ? m/s?

400km/h= 1.1*10^-4
When i plugged it into the equation I got 3.3*10^-11 I don't think this is right because that angle is to small. Can u tell me what I am doing wrong.
arctan((1.1*10^-4)^2/(9.8)(2100)

Gee, I get 111 m/s

400,000/3600 = 111.1111

ok i used that and i get 90 degrees when i put it in as an answer it is declined I am i still doing something wrong

I really think you need to recalculate your tan-1.

Related to Centripetal Force: Calculating Bank Angle for Plane Circling Airport

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

The formula for centripetal force is F = mv^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. Why is it important to calculate the bank angle for a plane circling an airport?

The bank angle of a plane is important because it determines the amount of centripetal force needed to maintain the circular path. If the bank angle is too shallow, the plane may not be able to complete the turn and could potentially crash. If the bank angle is too steep, it could put excess strain on the plane and its passengers.

4. How is the bank angle for a plane circling an airport calculated?

The bank angle can be calculated using the formula tanθ = v^2/(gr), where θ is the bank angle, v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula can be rearranged to solve for θ.

5. Are there any other factors that affect the bank angle for a plane circling an airport?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the bank angle, such as wind speed and direction, weight and balance of the plane, and the type of aircraft. These factors must be taken into consideration when calculating the bank angle to ensure safe and efficient flight.