Centripetal Force hydrogen atom

In summary, in the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom, the speed of the electron is approximately 2.18 × 106 m/s. Using the centripetal force formula of F=mv^2/r, the central force acting on the electron as it revolves in a circular orbit of radius 5.02 × 10−11 m can be found by using the mass of the electron (9.1e-31 kg) in SI units. Thank you for helping and clarifying the necessary information!
gswagmoney
Question:
In the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom,
the speed of the electron is approximately
2.18 × 106 m/s.
Find the central force acting on the electron
as it revolves in a circular orbit of radius
5.02 × 10−11 m.
Answer in units of N.
Comment on Attempt:
Ok I tried using the centripetal force formula of F=mv^2/r , but i wasn't given the mass. So i looked it up, the mass being 1.007, and it still wasn't the correct answer. I'm not sure if I need to somehow cancel out the mass with another formula, Thank you for helping :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!
Did you look up the mass of the electron or the mass of the hydrogen atom? Which one do you need? Also, make sure you find the value of the mass in SI units.

Likes gswagmoney
TSny said:
Hello and welcome to PF!
Did you look up the mass of the electron or the mass of the hydrogen atom? Which one do you need? Also, make sure you find the value of the mass in SI units.
YAY! Ok I misread and just found the mass of a hydrogen atom, not the electon, which is 9.1e-31 and when I plugged that into the equation it worked! I cannot tell you how happy I am right now, Thank You so much for replying to me, this made my day. Thank You again

OK. Good work!

Related to Centripetal Force hydrogen atom

What is centripetal force in a hydrogen atom?

Centripetal force in a hydrogen atom refers to the force that keeps the electron in orbit around the nucleus. This force is equal to the electrostatic attraction between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electron.

How is the centripetal force calculated in a hydrogen atom?

The centripetal force in a hydrogen atom can be calculated using the formula F = (mv^2)/r, where m is the mass of the electron, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of its orbit.

What is the relationship between centripetal force and centripetal acceleration in a hydrogen atom?

The centripetal force and centripetal acceleration in a hydrogen atom are directly proportional. This means that an increase in the centripetal force will result in an increase in the centripetal acceleration, and vice versa.

How does the centripetal force affect the energy levels of the electron in a hydrogen atom?

The centripetal force determines the radius and speed of the electron's orbit, which in turn affects its energy level. A higher centripetal force will result in a smaller radius and higher speed, leading to a higher energy level for the electron.

What happens to the centripetal force in a hydrogen atom as the distance between the electron and nucleus changes?

The centripetal force decreases as the distance between the electron and nucleus increases. This is because the electrostatic attraction between the two decreases as the distance increases, resulting in a weaker centripetal force.