Centripetal Force Lab Data Analysis

• Thread starter rahrah094
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Lab
In summary, the conversation revolved around a physics lab where the goal was to find the relationship between different variables in a centripetal force experiment. The group conducted two experiments with varying independent and dependent variables, and calculated velocity by timing 15 revolutions and finding the circumference of the radius. The data showed a relationship between velocity and radius and also between velocity and hanging mass. The conversation ended with a question about how to show the relationship and further steps to take.
rahrah094

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. I must say that for one thing, my physics teacher is incapable of explaining. We started this topic a day ago and now he asked us to perform a lab to find the relationship between the variables. I don't know what that means but I will add my thoughts in B3.

So, the lab is a centripetal force lab in which a string connects a vial stopper to a weight on the other end by passing through a vial. We spun the vial around in a circular motion in order to swing the stopper around in a circular motion. My group attempted two different experiments. One in which we kept the independent variable the radius of the string length from the stopper to the vial and the dependent variable the velocity of the spinning stopper. In the second one, the IV was the mass hanging on the bottom with the radius constant and DI as the velocity. The velocity for both was found by timing 15 revolutions for 2 trials, dividing the average by 15, finding the circumference of the radius and dividing that by the time for one revolution. My data for both is as follows:

Mass of stopper for both is .0238 kg

Velocity v. Radius
Radius (m) Mass(kg Time(avg)for 1 revolution Velocity
0.150 .0586 .422 2.24
0.300 .0586 .579 3.25
0.450 .0586 .658 4.29
0.600 .0568 .857 4.40

Velocity v. Mass on Bottom
Radius Mass Time(avg)for 1 revolution Velocity
0.300 .0586 .577 2.24
0.300 .1221 .446 3.25
0.300 .2176 .333 4.29

I graphed both of them and both v vs radius and v vs hanging mass

What do i do now? How do i show a relationship? I know that Fc = Fg= Ft, mass of stopper*ac=g*hanging mass. Also, i linearized the graphs. I don't know what to do after that. Am i supposed to graph v. radius and v. hanging mass (g)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow people suck at replying...

Related to Centripetal Force Lab Data Analysis

What is a Centripital Force Lab?

A Centripital Force Lab is an experiment that investigates the relationship between centripital force and the mass, velocity, and radius of an object in circular motion.

What materials are needed for a Centripital Force Lab?

The materials needed for a Centripital Force Lab may vary, but some common items include a string, a stopper, a ruler, a stopwatch, and various masses.

How do you perform a Centripital Force Lab?

To perform a Centripital Force Lab, you must attach a mass to a string and swing it in a circular motion while measuring the radius, velocity, and centripital force. These measurements can then be used to calculate and analyze the relationship between these variables.

What is the purpose of a Centripital Force Lab?

The purpose of a Centripital Force Lab is to understand and demonstrate the concept of centripital force, which is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. This lab also allows for the exploration of the variables that affect centripital force.

What are some real-life applications of Centripital Force?

Centripital force plays a role in many real-life situations, such as the rotation of planets around the sun, the motion of a car around a curve, and the spinning of a roller coaster. Understanding centripital force is important in designing and engineering structures and machines that involve circular motion.