Centripetal force of a ball swinging

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of centripetal force in a vertical circular motion. The tension force and the radial component of gravity contribute to the centripetal force, which is equal to mv^2/r. However, the tension force varies in a vertical circle. It is clarified that the centripetal force must always point towards the center of the circle, as it is defined as the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path.
Zarquad
(Look at attached pic) The red ball is attached to a string which is being spun in a vertical circle. The downwards force is gravity and the other green one is the tension force. The blue is the sum of the green vectors. It is the centripetal force because it's the net force (and thus is equal to mv^2/r). On the other hand, isn't centripetal force the "center seeking" force, which means it should be pointed to the center of the circle? In that case, how can it be called the centripetal force?

Thanks.

Attachments

• _20140926_171036.JPG
    _20140926_171036.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zarquad said:
The downwards force is gravity and the other green one is the tension force. The blue is the sum of the green vectors. It is the centripetal force because it's the net force (and thus is equal to mv^2/r).
No. The tension is the centripetal force equal to mv^2/r. The net force is not purely centripetal in this case, meaning that the speed along the circle varies.

So does the centripetal force, by definition, ALWAYS point to the center of the circle? Uniform or non uniform circular motion?

e; It still doesn't make sense. The circle is a vertical one (I forgot to mention that) so the amount of tension needed varies. If I wanted to maintain a constant velocity my centripetal force would be constant, but my tension force can't be constant in a vertical circle situation.

Last edited:
Zarquad said:
So does the centripetal force, by definition, ALWAYS point to the center of the circle? Uniform or non uniform circular motion?
I would say that this the common definition.

Zarquad said:
The circle is a vertical one (I forgot to mention that) so the amount of tension needed varies.
In that case the centripetal force is tension plus the radial component of gravity. The tangential component of gravity is changing the speed.

What's the radial component? Gravity is on the y scale, it doesn't have an x component, unless you're changing the axes somehow.

Zarquad said:
What's the radial component?
Parallel to string.

So in that case it wouldn't be pointing to the center and my original statement is correct.

Sorry, I read that as perpendicular for some reason. A gravity component is only parallel to the string twice in the entire circle though.

Zarquad said:
A gravity component is only parallel to the string twice in the entire circle though.
No. There is always a radial gravity component, exept twice in the circle when it is zero.

What are you axes/what's your reference?

Zarquad said:
What are you axes/what's your reference?
It doesn't matter. Parallel to string and perpendicular to string are coordinate independent statements.

I don't see a component of gravity that is parallel to the string. Can you draw it out?

Zarquad said:
I don't see a component of gravity that is parallel to the string. Can you draw it out?
Gravity points downward. Unless the string is horizontal, there will be a component of the weight parallel to the string.

Zarquad said:
Just project the weight vector onto the string.

Oh, alright, I get it now. So in conclusion basically, centripetal force does have to always point to the center?

Zarquad said:
So in conclusion basically, centripetal force does have to always point to the center?
Of course. (That's the definition of centripetal.)

Alright, thanks.

Related to Centripetal force of a ball swinging

1) What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle.

2) How is centripetal force related to a ball swinging?

The centripetal force acting on a ball swinging in a circular path is what keeps it moving in that path. Without this force, the ball would continue moving in a straight line.

3) What factors affect the centripetal force of a ball swinging?

The centripetal force of a ball swinging is affected by the mass and velocity of the ball, as well as the radius of the circular path it is swinging in.

4) How is centripetal force calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is Fc = (mv^2)/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5) Can centripetal force be increased or decreased?

Yes, the centripetal force acting on a ball swinging can be increased by increasing its mass, velocity, or the radius of the circular path. It can be decreased by decreasing these factors.