Centripetal Force: Why Don't Planets Fall from Sun?

In summary, the reason why the cup attached to a spinning thread doesn't stop spinning is because of the tension applied by the finger, acting as a centripetal force. However, the Earth's orbit around the Sun is maintained by the gravitational pull of the sun and its constant speed, not by any external force like wobbling or tension. In outer space, the cup would continue to spin without any external forces due to the absence of air resistance.
Quincy
Suppose if you're spinning a thread by your finger that has a cup attached to it at the other end. You would need to keep wobbling your finger or the cup would stop spinning, right? Then why doesn't the Sun wobble to keep the planets spinning around it? Or does the cup stop spinning because of the downward gravitation force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quincy said:
Suppose if you're spinning a thread by your finger that has a cup attached to it at the other end. You would need to keep wobbling your finger or the cup would stop spinning, right? Then why doesn't the Sun wobble to keep the planets spinning around it? Or does the cup stop spinning because of the downward gravitation force?

I still haven't finished high school so i might be wrong, so here goes :) ...

when you wobble your fingers, i think you might be applying the tension which acts as the centripetal. The tension would be equivalent to the gravitational pull of the sun towards the earth. In addition to that, the Earth is moving at a constant speed (though i think its slowing down?), While the cup face frictional forces like air resistance, so tangentially its decreasing some of the force you apply by your fingers, most proabably also causes some sort of tangential acceleration too.

Please if I'm wrong correct me, I will be having a quiz on this topic, which me luck :D

thanks,

Abdou said:
I still haven't finished high school

lol same here.

I forgot about air resistance; so I guess if you spin the cup in outer space, it will keep on spinning without having to wobble your finger.

The sun keeps the planets in place via gravitational attraction...the curvature of spacetime.

Your finger has no gravitational attraction to a cup...at least it's negligible...you move the cup via the string via directly applied force...you apply centrifugal force to the cup; centripetal force holds in for accelerating from you...not gravity...

FAQ: Centripetal Force: Why Don't Planets Fall from Sun?

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain circular motion.

2. Why don't planets fall into the sun?

The force of gravity between the sun and the planets is balanced by the centripetal force acting on the planets. This keeps them in a stable orbit around the sun.

3. How is centripetal force related to Newton's laws of motion?

Centripetal force is an application of Newton's first law of motion, which states that an object will remain in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of planets orbiting the sun, the centripetal force is the external force that keeps them in their circular path.

4. Can the strength of centripetal force change?

Yes, the strength of centripetal force can change depending on the mass and speed of the orbiting object. The greater the mass or speed, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep the object in its orbit.

5. How does the distance between the sun and planets affect centripetal force?

The distance between the sun and planets affects the strength of the centripetal force. The closer the planet is to the sun, the stronger the force needs to be to keep the planet in orbit. This is why planets closer to the sun have shorter orbital periods than those farther away.