Ceres Craters: Investigating NASA's Dawn Animation

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, Ceres has many perfectly round craters. Dawn's images show that most of the craters are perpendicular to the surface. This is likely because of the high speed of the impact.
Borek
Mentor
Using images from Dawn NASA has produced this fascinating animation of Ceres:

What struck me while watching is the fact that most craters look almost perfectly round in shape. Perhaps it is the same for other bodies, I just never thought about it earlier. Intuitively I would expect the crater shape to depend on the hit angle, and hit angles to be mostly random. Sure, few craters are oval, but the majority looks like a result of a hit perpendicular to the surface.

Obviously gravity can skew the distribution of hit angles, but somehow I doubt it would eliminate tangential hits.

What am I missing?

Likes Dotini and Drakkith
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not sure. They don't look too terribly different from craters on the Moon to me.

If anything, an asteroid is more likely to collide with a celestial body the more its orbit overlaps with the orbit of that body. I'm no expert but it would stand to reason that a considerable number of asteroid impacts would occur when the celestial body is lined up with the asteroid and they're traveling in roughly the same direction.

I've never replied to any forum on any website before, but I think I can answer this.
There has to be quite a few strikes at slanted angles, even if the asteroids are traveling in the same general direction. Here goes my theory: Because the impacts between celestial bodies are usually at very high speeds, I believe there is an explosion created on impact that "outweighs" the inertial forces of the object impacting. And this explosion is directed in all directions. This could create a circular crater even if striking at a very slanted angle. When the comet Shoemaker-Levy fragments hit Jupiter, they created circular explosions by just hitting clouds! Okay, atmosphere. Your oval craters are probably the lower speed impacts at an angle and speed that didn't create much of an explosion, or a pair of close objects that did.

Likes CosmologyHobbyist, Stephanus, marcus and 1 other person
David Plunk said:
I've never replied to any forum on any website before, but I think I can answer this.
There has to be quite a few strikes at slanted angles, even if the asteroids are traveling in the same general direction. Here goes my theory: Because the impacts between celestial bodies are usually at very high speeds, I believe there is an explosion created on impact that "outweighs" the inertial forces of the object impacting. And this explosion is directed in all directions. This could create a circular crater even if striking at a very slanted angle. When the comet Shoemaker-Levy fragments hit Jupiter, they created circular explosions by just hitting clouds! Okay, atmosphere. Your oval craters are probably the lower speed impacts at an angle and speed that didn't create much of an explosion, or a pair of close objects that did.

Your intuition is correct. The crater is caused by the explosion of impact and the angle of the strike has little to do with it. Only in cases of an extremely shallow impact angle will the crater deviate from being nearly circular. In this case, the "impact" is more of a "graze" with the impact energy spread along a line and creating a elongated crater.

Likes CosmologyHobbyist
Thank you guys, case solved :)

Related to Ceres Craters: Investigating NASA's Dawn Animation

What is the purpose of the "Ceres Craters" animation?

The purpose of the "Ceres Craters" animation is to provide a visual representation of the data gathered by NASA's Dawn spacecraft during its mission to the dwarf planet Ceres. This animation allows scientists and the general public to better understand the topography and geology of Ceres and its many craters.

How was the "Ceres Craters" animation created?

The "Ceres Craters" animation was created using data collected by the Framing Camera on board the Dawn spacecraft. Images from the camera were combined and processed to create a three-dimensional model of Ceres, which was then animated to simulate a flyover of the dwarf planet's surface.

What can we learn from the "Ceres Craters" animation?

The "Ceres Craters" animation allows us to observe the distribution and characteristics of craters on Ceres, providing insights into the history and evolution of the dwarf planet. By studying the size, shape, and depth of the craters, scientists can also gain a better understanding of the composition and structure of Ceres' surface.

How does the "Ceres Craters" animation contribute to our understanding of the solar system?

Studying Ceres and its craters can provide valuable information about the formation and evolution of the solar system. Ceres is believed to be a remnant of the early solar system, and by analyzing its craters, scientists can learn more about the processes that shaped our solar system billions of years ago.

Is the "Ceres Craters" animation available to the public?

Yes, the "Ceres Craters" animation is available to the public on NASA's website. It is also used in educational materials to teach students about the solar system and the scientific process of analyzing and interpreting data.