CFD calculations in solar updraft towers

In summary, solar updraft towers work by capturing the thermal updrafts that occur in summer weather. This process maximizes the energy that can be extracted with wind turbines. The towers need to be large in order to capture a lot of energy, and this is one of the major drawbacks to the technology.
Newbie Tinker
Hi all,

I have been asked to contribute material for a presentation at my daughters school. The subject is alternative energy via solar methods and several other parents have already selected the obvious platforms (photovoltaics, CSP, etc.) and I thought solar updraft towers would be kind of cool and different. I don't know much about the technology other than it's not very popular.

One of the issues I have run into is being able to explain to young kids (and let's be honest, myself included) why the towers have to be so large, both in height and collector area. The calculations involved (computational fluid dynamics) are quite beyond me at the moment and I was hoping someone on this forum might be able to explain it to me in laymans terms.

So: why do solar updraft towers have to be so large both in height and collector area? Would recirculating the air cause it to rise in temperature over time and cause an increase in power output, kind of like burning more fuel in a fireplace causes a faster updraft? If not, why not?

Hopefully someone with a firmer grasp of the physics/engineering challenges involved will be able to help.

Regards,
Carl

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Welcome to PF!

I saw this question and must say I was thrown by the title a bit. I don't think CFD is a very significant part of what you need or would play much of a role in the conceptualization of such a device. Beyond that, CFD is highly application specific and expensive, so by citing it in the title, you vastly cut your target audience to...well...almost no one. But to discuss how solar updraft towers work... (to schoolchildren):

Solar updraft towers capture the primary feature of summer weather: thermal updrafts. In the summer(more than in the other seasons), the sun heats the earth, which heats the air near the earth. This air expands and becomes lighter (less dense) than the air just above it, making it rise in bubbles of warm air, like bubbles in a boiling pot of water. (Add some moisture and these updrafts become thunderstorms...and you can watch the bubble rise and grow until they do.) By directing this rising air through a properly-shaped funnel, the effect is maximized and its energy can be extracted with wind turbines.

If you want to do calculations on the process, you can start with a parcel of air near the surface and calculate how warm it gets, how much it expands and based on the height of the tower, how much energy it can provide.

It's a neat idea, but the major (and it is major) drawback is being able to construct a tower tall enough to be efficient without being too expensive to build. Ordinary wind turbines capture the same energy, but though they capture less of it, they are much cheaper to build.

Hope this is helpful and not too late...

Likes Curiositatem
Keep in mind also they have to be large because there just isn't a lot of stored potential energy in a cubic foot of hot air, so you have to flow a lot of it to extract an appreciable amount of power.

Related to CFD calculations in solar updraft towers

1. What is a solar updraft tower?

A solar updraft tower is a type of renewable energy technology that uses the sun's heat to create a natural airflow. It consists of a tall chimney with a large collector area at the base. The collector area is covered with a transparent material that allows sunlight to enter and heat up the air inside. The heated air rises through the chimney, creating a draft that drives turbines to generate electricity.

2. How do CFD calculations help in designing solar updraft towers?

CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) calculations are used to simulate and analyze the airflow patterns within and around a solar updraft tower. This helps in optimizing the design of the tower to maximize the efficiency of the natural airflow and the power generation. CFD calculations also help in predicting the tower's performance under different weather conditions.

3. What are the key parameters used in CFD calculations for solar updraft towers?

The key parameters used in CFD calculations for solar updraft towers include solar radiation, air temperature, wind speed, and atmospheric pressure. These parameters are essential in determining the heat transfer and fluid flow within the tower and can greatly impact its performance.

4. How accurate are CFD calculations for solar updraft towers?

CFD calculations are highly accurate in predicting the performance of solar updraft towers. However, the accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the input data and the simplifications made in the simulation. It is important to validate the results with real-world data to ensure the accuracy of the calculations.

5. Can CFD calculations be used to improve the efficiency of existing solar updraft towers?

Yes, CFD calculations can be used to identify potential areas of improvement in existing solar updraft towers. By analyzing the airflow patterns and heat transfer within the tower, engineers can make design modifications to increase its efficiency. This can lead to a significant increase in power generation and ultimately, a more cost-effective and sustainable energy source.