How Do You Draw the VSEPR Structure for CH3CH3?

In summary, for the given homework task, the student drew a VSEPR structure for CH3CH3, which consists of two tetrahedral structures connected together. They questioned if this was the correct approach and stated that the molecule is non-polar due to its symmetry. The conversation also touched upon the topic of carbon chain molecules and determining dipole moments. The student requested a safe method for determining dipole moments and mentioned that a symmetric molecule with identical atoms is non-polar.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Draw the VSEPR structures.
CH3CH3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is throwing me off because there are basically 2 tetrahedral. So, that is what I did. I drew a tetrahedral VSEPR structure and I connected another one to it upside down.
Is that wrong? I wish I could draw it somehow to show you. On here. I said this molecule is non-polar. Symmetric so everything dies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you have a molecule of ethane. Do you know about carbon chain molecules yet?

No. They just gave me like a couple practice problems. I have a question. I have a little trouble with determining the dipole moment sometimes. What is a safe way to determine it? I know if the molecule is symmetric and all X;s are the same then it is non polar.

Related to How Do You Draw the VSEPR Structure for CH3CH3?

1. What is the molecular shape of CH3CH3?

CH3CH3, also known as ethane, has a tetrahedral molecular structure according to the VSEPR theory. This means that it has four electron groups around the central carbon atom, resulting in a shape with bond angles of approximately 109.5 degrees.

2. How is the VSEPR theory used to determine the shape of CH3CH3?

The VSEPR (Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion) theory states that electron groups will arrange themselves in a way that minimizes repulsion between them, resulting in a specific molecular shape. In the case of CH3CH3, the central carbon atom is surrounded by four electron groups, leading to a tetrahedral shape.

3. What is the hybridization of the carbon atoms in CH3CH3?

The carbon atoms in CH3CH3 are sp3 hybridized, meaning that they have four electron groups and are arranged in a tetrahedral geometry.

4. Is CH3CH3 polar or nonpolar?

CH3CH3 is a nonpolar molecule. While the individual bonds within the molecule (C-H) are polar due to the difference in electronegativity between carbon and hydrogen, the molecule as a whole is nonpolar due to its symmetrical tetrahedral shape.

5. What other molecules have a tetrahedral VSEPR structure?

Other molecules that have a tetrahedral VSEPR structure include methane (CH4), ammonia (NH3), and water (H2O). These molecules all have four electron groups around the central atom, resulting in similar bond angles and geometries.